DVC #7 - Mike Teutsch - "Fading" - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I agree and that was my initial thought when I first saw it, you could pitch this as a PSA if you remove the part about how it is for your grandfather as the public won't know the gentleman most likely. Make it generic by saying something like "Wesley John Teutsch - 1896 to 1989" then on to the next graphic. Also remember that graphics should be bold on television. Black over the grey image might be hard to read on a 9" B&W in someones kitchen. I would probably also do a slow zoom in on the photograph under the title.

Good job. Try to get this one on the air.

On the Dolly, I wonder if there is a way to make a drive wheel and motor assy that would be in a small housing ON the dolly platform. A pair of skateboard wheels friction driven? That would work for curved tracks.

Hmm.

Sean

I said the same thing to locals about removing my grandfather, and they said no. But, I think that part can be shortened and cleaned up on the one that would actually be used, if it were ever used!

What color or type would you use on the title. Straight white? I may do the zoom, and I may even cut my brother out, hehe, just to make it simpler, but I was concerned about loosing resolution on this very old picture. I will experiment before submitting it.

I appreciate your comments Sean, as I want this to be as good as it can be.

The motorized wheel idea is interesting, but might lose traction because of the very small contact area, and shifting weight bias on less than perfectly level surfaces. But, I can think of another similar way, so I'll work on that too. Thanks

Mike
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #32
Trustee

I have used transparent white as a base for lower third graphics and text. Allows the text to pop without completely covering the video under it. Maybe a softer white, grey in semi-transparent.

You could also squeeze the image back a bit to less than full screen and do the slow push in from there. You don't have to push in far to get a feeling of movement that's subtle. It also helps create an emotional connection when you do those slow zoom ins.

Leave the brother in. I wouldn't change anything other than the graphic stuff.

Good stuff.

The Alzheimer's people will probably want you to use their approved graphic. That would be easy to add as well.

Good luck.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #33
Major Player

Congratulations with the win Mike! You did a great job.

I hope to see this on TV some day.

Take care,

Mike
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
Congratulations with the win Mike! You did a great job.

I hope to see this on TV some day.

Take care,

Mike
Thanks Mike, and I will do my best to make it happen, as it is a very worthy cause. Like I said in another post, it turns out I have an insider on my side in the Orlando chapter of the Alzhiemers Association. I did not know it at the time of filming, but two of the girls and one of the ladies voices in the film are the daughters and wife of the past president and member of the Orlando chapter of the Alzhiemers Association. He loves it and wants to use it already, before he finds out it won.

One other note for those who might be interested, I shot it and edited it before choosing the music. I'm not the music person that some of you are. The music comes form one of my Digital Juice Royalty Free music libraries. The music in the movie is entitled "Faded Memories." Before adding it to the movie, I had already name the movie, "Fading!" That just goes to show you how great some of the music writers are! It fit so well, there was no second choice.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!