The Miracle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Major Player

The Miracle

Well, here is my entry, thank you for watching.

http://exposureroom.com/members/Isla...4660a8a7094e4/
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Bill,

The Miracle is full of beautiful images. I love the time lapse photography at the start. The field of yellow flowers and the interesting Mill location. Artistic flair abounds with the colored clouds. Beautiful running water on the rocks. Just the right amount of motion blur, with a nice highlights on wet rocks! (My favorite rock picture thus far). The kids are adorable and that looks like quite a jump. The narrator has a fantastic voice, a deep soothing tone, that is perfect for the price. Did you do the narration?

Love the kids taking turns on the swing. Kind of a strong gift theme I think. Each other.

I love the music, almost everyone knows it, but I’d add a credit to Pachelbel.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Bill,
You really delivered a stunning video!
The crisp colors, the message, the framing... Very very good!
Great choice of music. Fits very well with the visuals.

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to see your future videos.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you, Bill, that was quite beautiful! Really pretty and crisp colours, great narration, framing and transitions.
What's the location that the ocean/sea waves were filmed breaking against the rocks? It was breathtakingly beautiful! I'd like to visit that place.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the comments, I had a much bigger story planned with with the same nature shots then transitioning into people in our community who are there to help: first responders, Fire fighters, Police, Paramedics, Doctors, Nurses and hospitals who care for the elderly in their last days, the Humane Society, the people who clean up the parks, etc.
Precious gifts in our world. Then, the Holiday season got a little out of hand, and I couldn't get those shots, so I pared it down to the essential. It was good for our little family and brought us together. I couldn't figure out the narration till the last minute, I had filled 3 pages with 'stuff', then settled on a few lines, got up at 6AM on the 10th, and recorded it in the car in the garage since everyone was sleeping. That narrator (me) will have to pick it up or he's never working on my films again! I should have put a credit for Pachelbel's Canon in D major. *The coastline shot is the Na Pali on the north shore of Kauai. The waves were running 20-30 feet, and that one wave probably shot 100' in the air.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Bill, that original story you had planned. Follow that idea, and make an extended version.
Could turn out real good.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Wrangler

Ahhhhh.... :)

Loved it, Bill. For those of us stuck in mud and gray skies these days that was an especially wonderful treat.

Water, Air, Life...yep, that pretty much nails down the essentials; and then you added the "each other" factor which is so true.

I got chills when the clouds transitioned to the waves crashing against the rocks. I've been to the Na Pali coastline but it's been many years ago. Kauai is my favorite of the islands. God spent an especially long time with that one. :)

Trond is right; your original idea is great and I hope you'll run with it just because. We'd love to see it.

Thanks so much for making my day brighter with this, and with the smiles I got from reading your post. You used the car to record your narration--good idea and it turned out great. I shut myself in a closet for mine. :)
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Bill:

Very beautiful images... quite nice and a wonderful feeling and nice naration in general.

From my point of view the "solarization" of the moon and cloud, etc., in the beginning shots were a bit out of place, but other than that there was fantastic framing and exposure of some breath takingly beautiful locations.... We all wish we were there !!
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Trustee

Bill,

That's some beautiful imagery, though I'd agree with Chris on the solarization fx as it doesn't need it. I'd also agree with Trond in that you should create an extended version - with some more timelapses included. What the heck, might as well throw in some macro insect shots as well. We'd all love to see it.

Great work keep it up.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Bill... as Linda said, it was really a tonic to see the gorgeous images you so deftly wove together in your film. The music and VO levels were perfect, nicely done. It is a fine piece of work to be sure. I too wasn't crazy about the solarization portion, but I guess that is because I did it in back film days until I got sick of it.

One of the best in this round, for sure.

Chris Swanberg
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Good evening,

what beautiful images and a story I totally identify with!!!

I was wondering where it was shot so I went and looked at your location, think I need to be there this time of year!!! jumping into the creek just called to me. then those beautiful ocean scenes!!! Great job !!!! today and tomarrow are warm 28 to 30 degree F with 20 to 35 mile winds, ug.

Again, a wonderful piece! thanks for taking the time, sharing and giving all us notherners something to look forward to!!!

Oh yea my favorite shot is the Waves breaking up the cliff!!! beauty.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge