Aunt Matilda’s Present by Chris Barcellos: DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #16
Major Player

Damn that Bugeye has got the skillz!
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Major Player

As I post my comments on each of the films tonight I finally come to Chris Barcellos's. For those who don't know, Chris and I often collaborate, and in fact I had written a script for the film he had planned to do but which didn't happen. (This year for other reasons I was unable to assist in the making of that film, or for that matter the film he did make and post here. Like the rest of you I had to wait and see it here, knowing nothing about it in advance.)

So, anyway, I know Chris pretty well. My observations therefor come from a slightly different vantage.

Chris has always been better behind the camera than I am, and while I keep learning, in most of our productions he generally acts as principal camerman, I sometimes fill in or shoot 2nd camera. When Chris got his 5D, I noticed that his camera work started showing changes. Less formulaic, more varied in angles and moving camera. I think in this film his camera work is the best he has done. I felt the editing was unobtrusive as well. (Chris and I usually edit differently but he is much better overall than I am, so I usually do the fine tuning when we disagree on something and then we revisit it).

I do however generally handle sound, and am constantly chiding Chris about this or that and being fussy - and he rolls his eyes. In this film, he did it all himself, and I know he had to mix at least 3 tracks of sound on the timeline. I guess my fussiness must have rubbed off because I thought the soundtrack was terrific - something I have not always said in the past. He has me (in a way) to thank for the Fruitcake sounds... Buffalo noises we gathered for my last entry in the UWOL challenge... he still had them on his computer.

The actors (including Bugeye) were very good I thought. His grandkids probably have more acting experience than some young Hollywood starlets. They are a fun bunch to shoot with. Their enjoyment was evident in their performances.

I know Chris had fun with this one. It thought it was a very enjoyable watch, especially for someone who knows him well and his grandkids too.

Great film Chris. Technically and thematically.

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #18
Trustee

Hey Chris,

Great job... I think the real 'Gift' here is to be able to share your work and passion with your grandchildren. That is awesome.

Gotta love Bugeye!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge