The red side - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Seidl View Post
Hi there. This is my first post, but I've been lurking around for a while.
Cole,

Welcome to dvinfo.net!

Thank you for the kind compliments. You obviously have a very well developed eye and ear ;)

Actually, I was hoping someone would say something about the harmonica. There is this frantic, sound to it which is in Will West's live recording, and I knew I wanted to use it for the chase. Will gave me his CD of the song, but it is more polished and lacked the frentic nature so I downloaded the live version off of youtube. When I laid the music down on the rough cut, I was pissed that there was a big WHOOO sound in it from some audience member. I thought I would start the music right after the woo, but when I laid it on the rough cut, it was just about on top of the "if you need anything just scream." A little editing and the scream was right after it. This let the music build from a pleasent tone that went with the scarf and a natural transition into the scared running so well I couldn't believe it. One of those serendipity things that happen. I left the yell in, as I felt that the more inconsistent, abnormal audio and video clues there were, added to the dreamllike nature of the piece. I'm glad at least one other person feels the same way.

BTW, Chris Hurd is the dvinfo.net founder, Dylan Cooper started the DV Challenge, and Lorinda sort of runs it now. Someone else will have to tell you the UWOL history.

Hope to see your work in many more shorts.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Dick,
Entertaining and well done video, but I didn't get the story either. I thought, because of all the red that the guy was the Devil, and that the girl was going over to him, despite her wedding day. The story really doesn't matter, though, because Manda McKay is so utterly gorgeous that she carries the whole thing. I do disagree with you one one thing. She looks better in white.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Dick May's films are always thought provoking. This one was no exception. However, unlike others in this case, I think I *DID* get it, and realized early on (with the door knock inappropriate to the location) that this was a dream sequence. Your gorgeous actress carried off the difference between flirtaceous single (red) and the subdued "taken woman" (white) extremely well.

Me, I loved the film, and I am with you, I liked red ! Great entry Dick !

Chris

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; January 15th, 2010 at 01:03 AM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Trustee

Dick,

I loved the lighting on the girl at 00:30 to 2:00. And I also appreciate films that make you wonder and don't tie a nice little bow around everything.

Very nice work.
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Steve, Chris,& Ken, red or white, satan or romeo, as long as it was watchable I'm okay with the opinions. Thanks for the kind comments.

Blond hair almost calls for backlighting. We used a white bounce card for fill, and the soft light that resulted looked great on Manda. I'm an old fart, so hard shadows and direct sunlight probably enhanced my visual appeal.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Major Player

message from the writer

Kathryn thought she would provide her own explanation of the script

----------

Hi guys, Kathryn Kyker here, a writer of The Red Side. I’ve enjoyed and appreciated your comments, but wanted to weigh on the questions of theme, especially since Dick alludes to confusion about that as well. (Cool though that you like it in spite of that uncertainty. ) Dick mentions the L.Red R.Hood theme, so maybe you understood that he’s playing “The Wolf.” In dreamtime an animal represents your instinctual nature. A predator animal is an especially strong, positive element. I wanted to represent the fear of losing that aspect of yourself, in marriage, in a spirit-crushing job, whatever. Not dissing marriage, just supporting women staying in touch with their wild natures’ something I sure we can all agree on . . .
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge