Merry Christmas, Craig! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Merry Christmas, Craig!

Well, a little back story I suppose. Me and my friend Cole were really excited to do this theme when it was first announced. We started brainstorming to come up with a really different way that gift could be interpreted. We tossed around a few ideas, but never stuck with one. Weeks passed, we had both been really busy with work, school, etc. during the holiday season and we hadn't found any time to get together to do something.

So one night, when I came back to the apartment at 1:00 AM of January 9th, we decided we couldn't forgive ourselves if we didn't have SOMETHING to contribute to the contest. So we scrapped an idea together and finished principal shooting at 3:30 AM.

The next day we spent about an hour or so editing and and mashing up a quick, upbeat song reminiscent of "Seinfeld", using garage band.

We shot it on a plain Jane Canon Xl1, with some beat up tripod from a garage sale. We tried to work in some cool shots and ideas, but this was our final product.

We're looking forward to the next challenge, where we can hopefully get a jump start on things and have a fully developed idea ready for you guys.

"Merry Christmas, Craig!"
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, I'll be the first to say that this could have been the hands down winner if it was on time. Camera technique and pacing were superb.
Who among us has not had a 'bad' roomate?
I know a guy (not me) who got so pissed at his roomate drinking straight out of the milk container that he farted into it, knowing that the other guy would get a good whiff while drinking. Well, that turned into a fistfight. We don't know the outcome of this 'container'. Yet.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ben,
Very good!! I really enjoyed your video, and had to watch it again. Funny!
Good story, and the music fits well.

Thank you for sharing.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
I know a guy (not me) who got so pissed at his roomate drinking straight out of the milk container that he farted into it,
Yeah, I know a guy (not me) in a lot of my stories too ;)

Very creative use of the theme "gift." Brought a whole different point of view to the subject. Looked like you have a great directorial eye, with interesting angles and camera movement. The POV from the gift, and the camera move from under the table, are examples. Hat's off to the camera operator.

I loved the scene of eating jellly and peanut butter right from the jar. Growing up with five brothers I can understand the revenge motive at work.

Very funny and believable story!

My only add is audio. Start a little lower level so you have somewhere to go with the scream. It was pretty heavily clipped, and there's a little mic noise at places. You can edit out those mic handling noise easily enough.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Wrangler

Bill, I'm not sure what you meant by "if it was on time.'" Just to make sure there's no confusion, I received the working link to this hilarious movie early on Sunday the 10th--well before the deadline.

Ben and Cole, you guys...

Well, I almost don't know what to say. :) It's such a guy movie...and it's very, very funny. And as Bill pointed out, very well done.

Loved the sinister smile out the door when the victim goes in to...uh...make the gift for Craig.

Okay, I think that's about all I can stomach for now...
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Well there I go for assuming things...
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Nice save guys ! Great and interesting shots, and a fun commentary on the concerns of roommates.

Not so sure what happens with the gifts next..... I am thinking "regifting" may be coming...
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Major Player

This was AWESOME! :D No more comments.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Trustee

Ben,

This is waaaay funny. If you haven't done so already, you better throw a version up on youtube. It evokes memories of the things that guy room-mates do to each other.

To me the best part of this was the fact that you made this between 1:00am and 3:30am on the last day. I think that there should be a 'graveyard shift' film festival.
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies everyone! Glad to see we didn't offend too many people ;)
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
My only add is audio. Start a little lower level so you have
somewhere to go with the scream. It was pretty heavily clipped, and there's a little mic noise at places. You can edit out those mic handling noise easily enough.
I had only noticed the mic clipping only after we had uploaded it, but it is quite apparent.We probably would have caught it if we had not procrastinated until the very last minute :)

As for the scream, I honestly can't remember if we did that on purpose...Haha, I think we thought it was funny that it went way over the levels and clipped out.

Thank you for the input, we always try to be more mindful of little things we can fix.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Major Player

Well done Ben. Your camera work was nice to watch - I liked the rack focus on the dropped glove.. and the edits practically invisible to the viewer - which is how a well edited film ought to be. I would agree that if there was a portion needing a little work in the future it would be sound, but then I am a firm believer that sound is a major part of any presentation. Funny story, and well executed. This is a certainly a contender !

Chris

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; January 15th, 2010 at 01:01 AM.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Very nice video, I love the story, I'd personally add a bit more light if possible except in the "toilet shot" to give it more of a grimy feel, without of course being too explicit. Overall very well done.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Well, I had a real laugh with this video, it sunk home one might say!! It was well done and I must say the eating seen had me in stitches!! Of course the exit sealed it. Having craig come in was alright, but to be honest it was not really needed to tell the story!!!

Most excellent, I am still chuckling as I wright this!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge