Meat - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #16
Wrangler

As others have already said, the imagery and sound were of the highest caliber. A very well done piece.

I'd concur that there seems to be some small bit missing when Johnson enters -- if he was going to dispatch his victim, would he have brought a weapon along, or did he somehow know that he would meet no resistance and everything he needed to finish his grisly work was already at hand? But having suffered under time constraints in my own project, I'm entirely sympathetic with your explanation that there wasn't time to, uh, flesh this all out.
;-)

In the end, I must say that even if circumstances weren't rushed, this was beautifully done.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Major Player

We had a lot of fun with the audio, Lorinda. Well, it was fun for me and Ed but probably not so much for poor Vyvyan having the boom trailing behind his hand repeatedly to get wild tracks of the pen scratching on the paper...

Audio is something that I've neglected in my previous shorts, as I said in my reply to Finn-Erik, and so with this one I bit the bullet, bought a boom pole, an extended XLR cable and made sure that I had someone who knew what they were doing manning the sound. I ended up spending most of Sunday not doing the grade, as I thought I would, but adjusting audio levels. I'm so glad you think it paid off. I did the final mix through a set of closed cans so headphones probably would be the optimal listening experience :)

It's been a wonderful competition - everyone seems to have upped their game for occasion, and I can't wait to participate in the next one.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Many thanks for watching Pete, I'm so glad you like the film.

I fear I may have shorthanded the area of the story you mentioned slightly. Johnson's character did enter carrying the saw wrapped up in cloth and immediately put it down on the side bench, but I was worried that his entrance took too long and wanted to get a reaction shot from Benjamin so that we understood the entrance was unexpected and a genuine shock to him. I may have cut Johnson putting the saw "package" down a little short as a result.

Good pun by the way, reminded me of the awful take we had where we were shooting the ECU of the saw heading towards Benjamin's hand and I yelled "cut" without thinking. There was a momentary pause before I heard a desperate cry of "DON'T CUT!" from the sound man ;)
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #19
Wrangler

I'm a sucker for quasi-Victorian gothic...great mood piece. Agree that the reveal is a little out of pace with the rest of the story, which has a somewhat slower leisurely unfolding....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Major Player

Many thanks for taking the time to watch and comment Meryem. So glad you liked the film.

I'm afraid that the pacing of the reveal itself was a deliberate decision designed to ape the fast, almost too frenzied last minute reveals of the short stories/ horror comics the script was riffing off. I'm sorry it didn't work so well for you.

Henry
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Inner Circle

henry,

First, the filming and technical aspects were terrific!!!! actually kind of awesome.

I am not a horror genra type but I will watch them at times. While I enjoyed this and i watched it two times I am missing a couple things (I just may be thick about this).
first, did the colored flame signify toxic gas to knock him out?

Second, who was doing the screaming, "Oh God", and if that was the guy with the saw then why??

to be honest as much as I love the way you filmed it I felt slightly confused after two viewings.

No doubt your goal to make a dark film was fully achieved. I just needed a few more facts/shots to make it complete for me.

Please note I very much enjoyed watching it and thank you for all your efforts!!!
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #22
Major Player

Many thanks for all your kind words, Dale.

The story runs something like this:

BENJAMIN and JOHNSON are both medical students. BENJAMIN is having trouble obtaining cadavers for his studies. JOHNSON is not.

BENJAMIN resorts to black magic in desperation. He enwtines a rope with a strand of JOHNSON's hair. When the rope is lit BENJAMIN will be able to see through JOHNSON's eyes for as long as it burns, hopefully finding out where JOHNSON gets his cadavers from.

As BENJAMIN is about to light the rope JOHNSON bursts into the room unexpectedly. It becomes clear that JOHNSON has been murdering people and using their bodies for his research, and JOHNSON now intends to kill BENJAMIN for the same purpose.

As JOHNSON steps towards BENJAMIN the rope catches light in the flame and, the spell completed, BENJAMIN's mind leaves his body and travels into JOHNSON. BENJAMIN is powerless to do anything other than watch through JOHNSON's eyes as JOHNSON gets ready to chop up his helpless body for parts.
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Henry,

Ok, I now get the "Oh no"" as he seees himself getting hacked. Boy you picked a rreally difficult one to do!!!!! Grreat idea though!!!! I was a little slow on this one!!!!

I will go back and watch it for the third time!!!!
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #24
Major Player

No worries, Dale. Glad you liked it :)
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge