DVC/UWOL 2010 - Dale Guthormsen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVC/UWOL 2010 - Dale Guthormsen

Dale won't be around until Jan. 19th, so here's a feedback thread for him to find when he checks in!

I'll be back later with more but for now...thanks for setting my dogs off with that intro, Dale. They howled right along with the coyotes when it started, then set in again at the end. :)
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Dale:

Where are you off to until the 19th? Seeking the bug zone for a stint of warmer weather? ;-)

Splendid entry my friend. I love how you give us such personal insight into your neck of the "woods". I thought your argument against the "bug zone" and for the far north in winter was compelling and your finishing touch at the end was very creative.

Thanks again for an enjoyable watch!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Dale,
A bit long intro, (the part where you got out and cleaned the snow and ice off your car), but I think you made a great film here.
Impressive how you always seem to find the animals at the right spots.
I agree with Catherine about the ending.
Well done, my friend!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Wrangler

Dale, you are the only one this time who managed to find some wildlife, and what great finds! Loved the rabbit to start things off.

Adding to what Trond noted, I believe your video could be tightened up quite a bit, particularly shortening the early segments he mentioned. That would also leave a couple seconds for you to dwell on the odometer a bit longer so it soaks into heads like mine why the camera went there. :)

Thanks so much for this entry. Always a pleasure!
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Wrangler

I don't really have any technical comments to add to those already made, but since I grew up in northern Minnesota along the Canadian border...wow, does your imagery bring back memories! Block heaters, scraping the windshield, and snow-covered roads.

The Houston area, where I now live, is WAY too hot and muggy in the summer for my taste, yet I don't feel compelled to move QUITE so far North as the ol' timber wolf stomping grounds anytime soon. Although I do rather miss having black flies take chunks out of my skin...

Hope you're having a fun trip, wherever you are until the 19th. Nicely done documentary, good sir!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Dale,
It is a pleasure to look at your your wildlife film in UWOL style.
As I understand, the wildlife is not far from your house.
The ending is genius.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I also can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. After the slightly long intro, I felt your video was a very nice piece. You had great images throughout, and you really have a talent for catching animals at the right moments.
I don't know much about nature videography, but as I live in Minnesota, I felt you really captured the northern way of life, and nature very nicely.
Great job on this one.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Dale,

Your short film had a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere that made it very enjoyable for me to watch. The finishing observations were a really nice touch.

Also, as someone who generally makes wildlife run a mile before he can get it in range I'm always somewhat awed by you UWOLer's ability to get such great nature footage. The shot of the rabbit sheltering inside the bush in particular was excellent- it was so clear you could see the whiskers tweak!

Henry
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Wrangler

I always enjoy these trips through the Canadian wild. I thought the personal journey worked quite well - the moving handheld shots seem to be a new addition to your arsenal, and I thought they worked well. Agree with others that a few tweaks to pacing are in order...but I think your storytelling skills are improving all the time, Dale, and I also enjoyed the glimpse into your editing nerve center.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Well, I generally hate flying and airports: crashing in choppers a couple times, horendous lay overs just make me want to walk.

However, with wifi and a computer you can get by that stuff with ease, no anxiety drugs needed!!! Nice!!

I am killing a couple hours so here I am, a little late to be certain.

First, thank you for taking thre time to watch my short.

For those thinking the pace was to slow, thank you, That was my total aim in producing it. Perhaps it is my age catching up to me. i have spent a life time trying to operate at a slower pace, and having lived here for the last 34 years has facilitated that. we just go about things at a sloer pace.

I actually tried shortening that sequence up several times and everytime it just seemed to harsh for me, so I left it as it was!!

The first odometer reading was to short, thought I had lengthened it and did not. In retrospect the cross fades should have been better too, slower in my book.

I am particularly glad the end was appreciated, I spent a fair amount of time getting the mask and such correct.

Don't know how many noticed but the title A BFZ documentary was a an abreviation for bug free zone

Also no one commented on the background music, I placed strawberry fields forever and the ukalali hawaiin piece as a bit of an irony to what was being seen.

It was totally a "Rule 11" piece for me.

Again, Thank you everyone for taking the time!!!

I will get to your films as layovers present themselves!!

Oh yea, got to my desination with a broken tripod inside a hard case!!!!! the whole trip is a worthy tale
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Dale, I watched your entry a couple of weeks ago. It brought a smile to hear the Hawaiian music juxtaposed to the ice and snow scenes. A very nice touch, I noticed it right off the bat. Also noticed was the bit about the bug zone. I'm currently surrounded by millions of mosquitos due to some heavy rain for the past month, and it sounds like a muted Vuvuzela outside the walls. I wouldn't mind seeing the stars without being bombarded by tiny winged creatures. The scene where you scraped the ice off the windshield was well done, felt like we were right there. -BT
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge