HDV to DVD - How to retain quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Tourist

HDV to DVD - How to retain quality?

Hi,

My setup is Canon XHA1 + PowerMac G5 + Final Cut Studio 2.

I have shot and edited my projects in HDV - but when I convert to mpeg2 for DVD playback, I am not happy with the results. It always looks a bit too soft for my liking! I am sure that HDV can provide better.

I processed the HDV file in Compressor (DVD, >90 min, Best Quality, Max Bit Rate 8). Then burnt the resulting file in DVD Studio Pro on to a DVD.

Do I need to shell out on a Kona LHe? Would it do the job better than software? Are there any other alternatives as that card has a pretty heafty price tag?

All I want is great looking DVDs - not too much to ask is it?

Thanks, Byron.
Byron Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Cox View Post
Hi,

My setup is Canon XHA1 + PowerMac G5 + Final Cut Studio 2.

I have shot and edited my projects in HDV - but when I convert to mpeg2 for DVD playback, I am not happy with the results. It always looks a bit too soft for my liking! I am sure that HDV can provide better.

I processed the HDV file in Compressor (DVD, >90 min, Best Quality, Max Bit Rate 8). Then burnt the resulting file in DVD Studio Pro on to a DVD.

Do I need to shell out on a Kona LHe? Would it do the job better than software? Are there any other alternatives as that card has a pretty heafty price tag?

All I want is great looking DVDs - not too much to ask is it?

Thanks, Byron.
I'm using JVC HD110 and FCS HD (1?) shooting 30p hdv, then compressor 90 best double on everything and framerate to best... etc.. I have the opposite effect.. no matter what I do it's tooooo sharpened with lots of artifacts... I'm thinking of looking at adobe again now that it is mac again, or maybe some 3rd party dvd encoder... but since you have FCP studio 2 and having options, I might not even bother with the $600 upgrade.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring