DVD Architect vs DVDit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 10th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #1
Wrangler

DVD Architech vs DVDit

Which is a more robust program to author DVDs with- Sonic Foundry's DVD Architech or Sonic's DVDit?

I know DVDit can't do motion menus or buttons- can DVD Architech? Also how good is Architech at handling complex menus with various end-run behaviors....can it hang with DVDit?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Architect is prolly THE best authoring app ive used...

pro results and a surprisingly easy interface and tree structure.

best to donwload a demo and test it for yourself :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dvd Architect is really easy to use. The menus can be created to be quite complex or really simple. Great menu creator!

V
Vince Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Glen,

Architect is pretty good if your using Vegas. It does have motion menus. I do like it better than DVDit, however Architect does lack any good end action features. You can only go back to the main menu with a back button you cant go to any sub menu's etc. Architect is worth purchasing, however, because it is good in general and you get the AC-3 encoder that becomes part of Vegas when you purchase Architect. The AC-3 encoding capability is a must have since it let's you get more video on the disc because it compresses the audio a lot more than a wav file.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: DVD Architech vs DVDit

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Which is a more robust program to author DVDs with- Sonic Foundry's DVD Architech or Sonic's DVDit?

I know DVDit can't do motion menus or buttons- can DVD Architech? Also how good is Architech at handling complex menus with various end-run behaviors....can it hang with DVDit? -->>>

I have both programs and can tell you that I now use DVD Architect - mainly to get motion menus/buttons and have an interface that works.

DVDit does have some advantages such as end actions. Hopefully those will be added in the next version of DVD Architect. However, DVDit is also three year old software with an update promised last june, then fall, then January, then March, then this month, and now fall.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

Ok- say if I shoot in 24pA (w/ my DVX100) then edit removing the pulldown in Vegas. Do I have to use the Vegas/DVDarchitech to encode a mpg2 that'll be true progressive scan? Or can I do all the 24p native editing in Vegas, output the finished product to encode and author in another program like DVDit (to take advantage of the end play behavior settings)? In other words do I have to stick with Vegas thru the whole workflow to get a progressive scan 24p DVD?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

architect allows you to use any kind of button, it actually defaults to the chapter point.. put the curser on it and you can see a thumbnail preview within the menu...

i prefer using text though as its neater, but yes, u can assign thebuttons to have little grpahics and arrows as such as well as images and various fonts..

if u dont use vegas, u can still encode to ac3, but you dont get the free range panning of ac3 that you would if u use vegas4 to render teh ac3

Answer for glen.. i might be wrong here as im from PAL region, but progresive DVD at 24p i do not believe is possible...

I DO know progressive is possible with 25p (50i conversion even) but no you dont need to use vegas.. so long as your final output files are supported by Architect u can use any editor....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Ok- say if I shoot in 24pA (w/ my DVX100) then edit removing the pulldown in Vegas. Do I have to use the Vegas/DVDarchitech to encode a mpg2 that'll be true progressive scan? Or can I do all the 24p native editing in Vegas, output the finished product to encode and author in another program like DVDit (to take advantage of the end play behavior settings)? In other words do I have to stick with Vegas thru the whole workflow to get a progressive scan 24p DVD? -->>>

Glen:

You can encode 24p MPEG-2 for DVD with pulldown flags (true progressive) using Vegas+DVD, but you'll have to do the encoding in Vegas, not DVD Architect. Vegas 4 also natively handles 24p and 24pA from the DVX100. Read about both topics in the Vegas 24p whitepaper.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 12:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

For whatever it's worth, this is a little off the subject but I was looking into Architect vs DVDit a few months ago. The Architect demo I downloaded was amazingly easy to use, especially being a Vegas user. I also downloaded a ReelDVD demo (because the DVDit demo was not available). It was not nearly as intuitive as Architect. Forums for both Architect and DVDit had a lot of complaints for both products (as forums often do) so I held off purchasing. Anyway, after several weeks I had not bought either and Sonic sent me an email offering ReelDVD at about $550, which is just a little more than DVDit is listed for. I ended up getting ReelDVD for the versatility (mainly being able to add subtitles) and have been happy with the decision. Menu buttons were a little tough to figure out but there are tutorials on the internet.

Well the point is I think ReelDVD can do almost anything you'd want to and if you have time before you buy you may get it at a more affordable price (I think the listing price is $1000). I was amazed at how easy Architect was to use, but the forum's complaints and the fact that it was Version 1.0 scared me away.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 01:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

architect doesn't do sub titles or allow for a secondary audio track (like a directors commentary). Maybe next version, but not now.
I think everyone is holding their breath for Adobe Encore to see what it can do. If it's anything like past Adobe releases, the first version will be buggy. But pre press is very positive.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney :If it's anything like past Adobe releases, the first version will be buggy. But pre press is very positive. -->>>

First release?! Heck Adobe Premiere is on it's 6th incarnation and it's STILL buggy!!!! :)
I'm convinced- the only program Adobe did right was Photoshop.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring