dvd printers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Inner Circle

dvd printers

What are some good inexpensive DVD cover printers? One that will print directly on to the DVD. I don't like the paper stickers. Are there printers that only print dvd's? Printers not made for documents, just for DVD's.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yeah but they can be costly. I've been using 2 Epson R200s since they came out and they have worked nicely. New models have come out since and replaced the 200, I thing they have a 300 now. Also I believe Canon has one. Can't remember the model number but you're right is staying away from labels.
I made a switch to TY watershield DVDs and they look awesome after printing. Nice gloss and great discs as well. Haven't had a bad one yet.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Actually, the R300 and R200 came out about the same time with the R300 having more features and being more expensive. That said, both models have been updated several times. I went from an R200 to an R260 and it is a big improvement, not so much in the output quality (which was very good on the R200), but in the printer features itself.

The biggest problem I had with the R200 was the DVD/CD transport tray--it had thin plastic guides on the end which would bend easily and caused problems with the tray being automatically taken into the printer. It also required a lot of room behind the printer since the DVD tray would "travel" quick a ways out the back of the printer. The R260 has a better designed tray that works much better and does not go beyond the rear of the printer when printing discs.
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

yeah there's been a lot of talk around here about the trays and the infamous Epson Push/Pull ;-) BUT I have to say other than the ink (should get an Ink Caddy but...) I have no complaints about the Epsons. I've run literally thousands of DVDs and CDs thru them and the printer really do a great job. A bit slow perhaps but nothing I can't live with.
Don
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I made a switch to TY watershield DVDs and they look awesome after printing. Nice gloss and great discs as well. Haven't had a bad one yet.
Don
Don, how would you compare the look of the TY watershield DVDs to the usual Verbatim or TDK printables ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

No comparison. I used verbatim printable for a long time and was happy with the quality of the face and the disc but since I switched to the TYs-I've gotten some great compliments on the look of the DVD face. Glossy and oh so pretty ;-)
Seriously, the TYs just look so much better at least to my eye.

Don
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Inner Circle

does the Epson 300 include a labelling software for the DVD and the case?
Is it user friendly?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The 200 includes a rudimentary software for faces not covers. However you should be able to set up some sort of template in Photoshop or any other graphics editor. I do some pretty extensive case inserts in photoshop and have even used it to do DVD faces. Sometimes it's just easier to do the design work there.
Don
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

go lightscribe
Andre Tira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Tira View Post
go lightscribe
From someone that bougth into that hype, don't go LightScribe. The look is horrible, and each burn shortens the life of your DVD burner. If you're printing only a handful of DVDs over your lifetime, LightScribe makes perfect sense.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #11
Major Player

Ink Tanks for Epson Printers

Has anyone tried the ink tanks for Epson DVd printers? They are called CISS on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/CIS-Ink-Refill-K...QQcmdZViewItem

This would significantly reduce ink cost...if it works for the long term.
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I unfortunately have not tried the ink caddy type system yet and I have 2 epson200s running :-(
I do however know a bunch of people that do use it and swear by it. No individual ink carts, long run times between fill ups and less cost per disc due to quanity etc.
Looks like I may finally break down and get at least one for next year.
Don
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Ink Caddy

Thanks for your responses...

This ink caddy is supposed to last thru 7-8 cartridge replacement...if the caddy works properly that would be a significant savings...

Thanks again...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring