dvd burner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 25th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

dvd burner

can anyone reccommend a good budget dvd burner?
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #2
Major Player

budget? give us a range. I got an external firewire sony dvd burner. it cost me $429. So far it is very fast and works every single time.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #3
Major Player

The Nec ND-1100A is an excellent burner. I own two of them and I have no complaints. Some quick specs:

-DVD+R and RW
-Supports up to 4x burning (requires 4x media)
-A entire DVD burnt in under 10 minutes
-DVD+R format is widely compatible with home DVD players
-I tested a DVD I made in every major brand of DVD player. Worked in all, using Memorex +R media
-Price: you can probably buy it in a store for around $175
-Internal drive

PDF on the drive off Necs website:
http://www.necsam.com/storage/NEC_DVD-CD-R-RW.pdf

PS - Vi-Pc sells them for about $166. If you are interested, go to their site and send them an email, because the burner is not listed directly on the site. (www.vi-pc.com)
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 03:51 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks for the replies.
range: i guess around $200.
i really have no idea what to look for in a dvd burner. speed is not the big issue for me. i don't care it takes 15 minutes or half an hour. but compatability and quality burning without problems is very important. i don't see any reason for me to get an external device, so i'll save and go for an internal one.

i read somewhere that PIONEER have broken ahead of the rest with some kind of new technology on their AO6 model. what's that about?
Old June 26th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Just bought the Sony 500ULX.

I've burned a few DVD's and I am very satisfied.

Goto PRICEGRABBER.COM and find a reasonable price.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You might get an A04 or 5 for around 200 from what I have seen on-line from tigerdirect, newegg and a few other dealers.
I have used the A03 for several years and it is a very good unit .Best luck in your search.
TigerDirect.com has the A05 for 203.00 right now.They are a very reputable company.I paid almost 400 for the 03 a few years back so it is a good deal, no doubt.
KennJ
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #7
Wrangler

Pioneer 105/ A05 has done me will In English Pounds you can get it for about £160

DVD-R/ RW
CD R/ RRW
DVD read
4x Write DVD

See www.pioneer.com and search for the A05.

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I bought the Sony DRU-500-AX.
It's not the cheapest burner, but I bought it as an investment in "piece of mind".

Careful about the budget burners. You may burn a DVD and find that 6 out of 10 players will not recognize the DVD.
And if you think speed isn't an issue, trust me, it will be. You really won't be happy waiting a half hour for a burn.

In my life, I've learned one thing. If your needs are driven soley by budget, you'll spend money on a cheap product because you need it now, and still have to purchase the better product because the cheap couldn't meet your needs.

You end up spending more money than you would have if you went ahead and bought the quality prodcut in the first place.

If you can't afford the quality product now, wait till you can afford it. It's less expensive in the long run.
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

If you can afford it I would go with a multiformat burner since
this allows you to burn any standard that emerges.

Nec, sony and pioneer have multiformat burners at this moment.
Plextor is also coming with one I think...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Trustee

The latest NECs are good. There's one cross-format NEC that's in the $229 range too, I believe. Sony's CD players, DVD drives and such have always had a history of going bad before there time. But I don't know about the most recent ones.

If you want external, don't waste the moolah on getting a packaged one... just get an internal one and an external firewire case separately, and screw in the drive. Save at least $50 that way.

Try http://www.newegg.com for computer equipment - they have both these things. And their prices are often so cheap, I wonder if they're a money laundering front for the mob ;) - But trust me, newegg.com is a very trustworthy vendor, with great follow up and speed of delivery. I use them a lot. I used to be a hardware tech for quite some time, so I do a lot of online shopping for computer parts, and they satisfy me every time.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:56 AM   #11
Major Player

thanks for the replies. i'm actually familiar with newegg. they are cheap and reliable, but don't ship over seas. so when ordering with them i always have to do it via my sister in LA, which sort of complicates things.....
anyway thanks.
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

>Plextor is also coming with one I think...

8x DVD+R, but the DVD-R performance is stuck at 4x.

http://www.plextor.be/english/products/px708a.html
http://www.plextor.be/english/products/PX708UF.html

DVR-105 $161
DVR-106D $215

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/pioneer-drive.html
http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/pioneer-106.html
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #13
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

We've still got our DVR-A05 MegaKits available. For $249.95 you get the full retail package DVR-A05 4x burner plus 20 DVD-R 4x disks. Check it out http://www.videoguys.com/pioneer.html

Gary
Videoguys.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring