New LG Burner shipping with Cyberlink software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old February 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Major Player

New LG Burner shipping with Cyberlink software

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=747284

This new LG Burner is shipping with Cyberlink Authoring software.

Anybody got anything good/bad to say about it?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Can't believe nobody else is itching to get burning Blu-Ray?

Last edited by Alastair Brown; March 1st, 2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: I can't spell!
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You know I was an "early" adopter before. I bought a HP 4020 CDR when it was $1500. Damn thing had a bug that lead to a class action lawsuit. I don't mean to say that the current drives are buggy (who really knows) but, until the price goes below $100, I'll be waiting until I have a paying job that requires the technology.
Andy Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I am with Andy. I am waiting for the price to lower a bit on them. The Pioneer and Phillips are around the same price. Phillips is actually a bit lower than the LG here in the states. I would choose the Pioneer over the LG in a heartbeat....
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Last night, I ordered one of the LG GGW-H20L burners from excaliberpc.com:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/LG_LIGHTS...id-582771.html

Newegg has them for about the same price, but I order from EXcaliberPC because it says that 4 BD-RE disks are included, in the listing. I've never ordered from EXcaliberPC before, but the feedback at resellerratings.com looks excellent.

The price on these, especially considering the specs (6X write for BD-R, etc.) and bundled software, is considerably better than any other Blu-Ray burner currently available (that I know of). The specs say it will also read HD-DVD disks.

Hopefully it actually works.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Robert,

I am REALLY keen to hear how you get on with this especially the Cyberlink software. Keep us posted!
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I got a pleasant surprise today (Saturday). Fedex delivered the LG GGW-H20L today, even though I only paid for the standard ground shipping. It was scheduled to be delivered Monday.

It will be a little while before I try it out though. I haven't built the computer it will be going into yet.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I got curious and decided to pop the LG GGW-H20L in my current main computer, for a quick look. I didn't let the software connect to the internet and update anything, though It sure wants to. I really dislike software that tries to connect to the internet without telling you. It seems to have burned a BDAV onto a BD-RE just fine. PowerDVD did lock up playing it back though! I know the file was ok, because I was able to copy the MPEG2-TS file from the BD-RE to hard drive, and play it, without issue. PowerProducer looks pretty stripped down. It only makes BDAVs and the video option to write an image file to the hard drive is grayed out too. For some reason, when I tried playing a couple of HD-DVDs full screen, PowerDVD displayed the image on my widescreen monitor letterboxed (big disappointment there).

The hardware appears to work fine. The software appears to be pretty weak. I'll give it a better workout when I build the new computer.
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #9
Major Player

I just ordered the LG GGW-H20L, $305 shipped from mwave.com.

What do you recommend for a Blu-Ray player (that plays back BD-R and BD-RE)?

I know that some are using their PS3 for this purpose.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

PS3 is probably the safest choice to play burned disks.

I see that Newegg has the LG GGW-H20L for under $300 now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136137
Old April 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I got one a couple of weeks ago but had trouble burning anything with it. I sent it back for replacement cos of this, but it actually turned out to be my motherboards Nforce 4 drivers being out of date.

The symptoms for anyone with a problem burnign was that the burn would make it to say 11% to 50% on any particular disk and was random, CD, DVD BD-RE. The Hard Drive light stayed lit and the software (Nero8) locked up. I suspect that it was SATA data crashing and causing the lock up. New drivers sorted it.

I have so far made one video watchable on my PS3, This took 2 or 3 goes to get right, well nearly right.

Attempt 1 Using Ulead Video Studio 11.5, it took 4 hours to make a 20 min film. Using VS11,5 to burn, nothing got written.

Attempt 2 used VS11.5 to write the blu-ray file structure (3 hours) and Nero to burn. I set nero to auto for UDF settings - wouldnt play in pc or PS3.

Attempt 3 used the previously created file structurein nero but set the UDF type manually to 2.5 - Success

I just need to work out a decent workflow now for editing in Liquid an burning a BD-RE or whatever.

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

the software is not that advanced, its like windows movie maker compaired to Sony DVD architect or Adobe Encore, and takes a long time to gather the data before burning, but a user friendly interface and good if you want a simple quick DVD made
Cameron Naghibi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring