DVD Scripts & GPRM Memory at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 30th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DVD Scripts & GPRM Memory

Some questions...

1) Do Encore or DVDit Pro HD support scripts and GPRM (General Purpose Register Memory)?

2) Any word on when DVD Architect 5 will be available? (DVDA 4.5 supports scripts and GPRM, but not Blu-ray)

3) Are there any reasonably priced BD authoring tools that support scripts and registers?

My project is a test disc. The DVD version allows the user to select the number of times that the content loops (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 or 18 times). I implemented it with DVDA 4.5 using scripts and a single register that keeps track of how many times the loop has played.

The simplest solution is for me to get DVDA 5.0, but my schedule is tight. I have Encore and DVDit Pro HD, but I don't see how I can implement the loop feature, except by brute force - and then it probably won't fit on the disc.

And, no, I don't have the budget for Scenarist or Blu-print. Other options are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm not sure about Encore CS3, but Encore DVD 2.0 does not do GPRM read/write. Neither does DVDIt Pro HD.

Even DVD Architect's implementation of scripting is "pseudo" scripting at best (but alot better than nothing at all).

For total scripting control on the PC, there's DVD Lab PRO 2.x (comes with a steeper learning curve due to all the features/functionality).

But for something fairly straight forward as keeping a counter, you can always use any authoring application, and then modify the results with PGCedit...

Regards,
George

p.s. referring to SD-DVD when talking about scripting in DLP and PGCedit

Last edited by George Wing; April 30th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
George Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks George,

It seems I still haven't found a solution.

You're right that the scripting in DVDA 4.5 is pseudo-scripting. Rather than writing code, you select actions and choose parameters. It's actually pretty cool, since you can learn it quickly and are pretty much prevented from ever creating a scripting bug.

It was powerful enough to let me set the loop counter, count down, and choose different actions, depending on the loop count.

*** If anybody has an affordable solution for making a Blu-ray disc with basic scripting, I'm still interested. ***

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring