Printing DVD cases/sleeves. Which software ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Trustee

Printing DVD cases/sleeves. Which software ?

Before i splash the cash, i'd like to know which software program some of you all use for printing dvd faces and sleeves for the cases.

I'm interested in quality, user friendlyness and price.

Thanks.

Paul.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I use adobe photoshop to make a jpeg image, then I use the epson program to put the photo on the disc. (I use an epson r260, you didn't mention what type of printer your interested in) it always lines up perfectly for me, and has given me no issues.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Nero (6) for the disc faces. It has some annoying ergonomic drawbacks (including, but not limited to...) it can't remember which printer you used for a given file, changing the content of text boxes necessitates re-centering them, etc. Quality seems fine for what I need, but I don't know what resolution it works at. I would NOT give Nero 10/10 for user-friendliness, but I did try the Epson program briefly and found Nero better than that...

I currently use MS Publisher for the case sleeves. I use Photoshop to create some of the images, backgrounds etc, then import them to MS Publisher. I have a colour management issue somewhere in the chain from MS Publisher to my (Epson) printers, and I suspect it's MS Publisher, but the issue is probably lack of knowledge on my part.
Quality of MS Publisher is, once again, fine for what I need.
MS Publisher is part of MS Office, so user-friendliness is up there (or it might be user-familiarity rather than friendliness...)
I've been toying with the idea of using Photoshop to create sleeves - just haven't taken the plunge, becasue I'm not a Photoshop power-user by any means.
Nero provides sleeve templates, but given the ergonomic drawbacks on the disc faces, I'm reluctant to change over to that.
Sorry - can't remember prices, but in any case, I don't have current versions, so the prices I paid are probably a tad irrelevant.
Hope this Helps.
Reg Gothard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use SureThing 5. I am able to make backgrounds and images in Photoshop then import them in very easily in SureThing. It is very user friendly and the cost is pretty great as far as I am concerned. I have produced all my wedding DVDs and a production of the Vagina Monologues and all the DVDs were printed with SureThing.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Another inexpensive program worth looking at is Discus:

www.magicmouse.com
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Trustee

I find the Pixelpops PixelMixer plug-in for Photoshop a very easy solution. I use it exclusively for inserts. For the DVD label I use Canon CD Labelprint.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Trustee

I've downloaded photoshop elements 6.
Can't get my head round it,it seems to have lots more than i need.
I just want to be able to create dvd jackets, using photo's which i have.
I print dvd's using canon label print.

Paul.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I use the same workflow as Allen on my Epson R260 connected to my iMac, substituting TIFF for JPEG. Works GREAT. I have an overlay of the printable area (including spindle hole cut out) that I use on a separate layer in Photoshop to ensure everything stays inside the printable area while I'm designing.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Trustee

I design the DVD labels in Photoshop CS3, then save as a JPG. My Disc Makers ElitePro duplicator came with Discus preloaded, so I use that to simply import the JPG and create the appropriate PRN file. I then let the duplicator take care of burning and printing the DVD(s).

I design the DVD inserts using Photoshop and print them on a Dell color laser.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring