Dual Layer DVD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old September 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
They're not a manufacturer, rather they are primarily a replication house. Although they should know their disks, there might be cheaper sources.
No, they don't manufacture discs, but they're a great reseller for discs and supplies. I have yet to find a place to buy blank media from at a better price. Also, their service and sales reps are very polite and knowledgeable.

The brand of the DL-DVD-Rs I bought from them is Ridata. I've heard of them before, but I don't know what kind of reputation they have. So far, I don't have any complaints!

I still wonder what the difference is between the +R and -R discs. I've had nothing but horrible problems when I've used DVD+R and DL DVD+R media. With those kinds of discs, it seems that they're only usable to store data that's used on computers. For anything used for playback in set-top DVD players, I always go with the -R media.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #17
Trustee

I've used Verbatim inkject printable DVD+R DL's for well over 300 discs sent out to buyers. In all I've only had one person complain and it must have been something for that burn cause the replacement disc worked great for her.

I always manually set the layer break and use ImageBurn to make the ISO and Burn it to the Disc.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn McCalip View Post
The brand of the DL-DVD-Rs I bought from them is Ridata. I've heard of them before, but I don't know what kind of reputation they have.
The used to have a pretty good reputation about five or so years ago. Don't know if it still holds up.

There is no reason I know of to use +R media. Virtually every DVD player made will play -R disks. Using +R is asking for trouble.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Major Player

I have been creating a number of dual layer DVDs of performances for local colleges consisting of two video tracks for dual angle playback.

The problem we have is that nobody seems to be able to duplicate the DVD from a disc or a disc image - each disc has to be burnt from studio pro.

Has anyone had a similar experience or better yet, a solution?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I have also tested several brands of dual layer disks a couple of years ago and decided to stay away from them - nothing but trouble.

My solution for zero playback compatibility complaints is TDK and Sony single layer DVD+R disks that I burn using the BITSETTING (aka booktype) option.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Major Player

I'm doing a search right now and came across this thread.

I've gone the DL route... and I'm not going to return. I recently gave a client 40 discs, all DL.

39 of them came back.

They had issues with skipping, freezing, etc. But they all played fine on my DVD player. It may not be a disc malfunction, but it's still my problem.

Ugh.

It's worth it just to split it up on to two discs and eat the cost of an extra disc and printer ink.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Major Player

Funny that I stumbled on this thread. Im trying to burn a dual layer disc now of a wedding Im doing. The total package is 5.7 gig and this wa the first time I have tried a dual layer burn. As usuall with anything new you try in this bussiness its not working too well.
It took me 2 days to figure out why Studio Pro wouldnt burn my disc in dual layer. I was putting 'The Interview" in the DVD title menu. The actual media was '"interview". So I finally got all 5 clips on one dual layer printable DVD and I go to test it.
The ceremony is one hour and 4 minutes long. At 28 minutes it starts to pixalate and stops playing.
I may try the dual layer DVD-r because I just tried it on what ever discs I had laying around. If that doesnt work I will go to two discs.

But I dont see the problem with the media, I see the problem within this Final Cut studio set.

As with all editing software, it costs a lot and is full of bugs.

Can you imagine paying 1200-1500 dollars for a product that performs as bad as editing programs? Why do we put up with it? Why do you have to tweak every little thing?
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring