DVD + and - RW at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old October 24th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD + and - RW

I am trying to figure out
1. What is the difference between DVD + and DVD - R . I always heard to buy - because more players could play them.

2. What kind of DVD RW should I get for testing my videos on DVD without having to waste DVDs?
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Trustee

If you really want to know the difference between + and - formats go here:
DVD+R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DVD-R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consensus is that -R is still the more compatible of the two formats. That's all I use.

As for the right RW you should use, the answer is whatever works on your gear. RW (+ and -) are both less compatible than either of the R formats. You may have a little trial and error ahead.

Here's something you might want to consider. The R media I use burns at 16X. The RW media I just checked from Staples.com only burns at 4X with one only 2X. Is your time worth the $.20 cost for burning a coaster? I've never used RW and I'll throw away one DVD for about every other project I do. It's generally for the review copy where I find something I need to change in the project.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring