How much will fit on a DVD...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Major Player

How much will fit on a DVD...?

I have 3 hours of 16:9 60i XL2 documentary footage that I'm cutting in FCE and then iDVD -- when done, I wonder if this will fit on one standard single layer DVD?

-- peer
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Its possible to cram 3 hours on a single layer DVD disc, but your data rates will have to be set so low that image quality WILL suffer. Nasty macroblocking and motion artifacts will all be present and amplified. If you absolutely need to fit everything on one disc and keep the level of quality relatively reasonable, you'll have to cut your length down to 2 hours. Perhaps even less if you're adding a DVD menu.

The other option is to just use two DVDs, or invest in some DL DVD discs. Dual layers are more expensive, and take longer to burn, but it all comes down to what you actually need. Hope this helps!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Major Player

It depends also on how much motion and such is going on in your videos. If its not a whole lot you can get a fairly good looking DVD if your encoder is good.

The bitrate you are looking at for 3 hours is about 3126 for video and 256 for mpeg audio.

As Shawn said, if you need higher quality go with 2 DVDs.
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Well, I've now managed (with quite a bit of effort) to edit down my videos from 3 hours to 2 hours and 15 min -- but as you can see below, I'm yet a mere 100MB over to fit it onto this DVD.

Since I can't trim the footage any further, I tried to compress one of the longer files a little in FCE (using its "Quicktime Conversion") but after a few hours of processing, it hangs every time (yes, I have ample computing power and disk space).

I wonder if anyone can give me a pointer or suggestion on how to cram those last minuscule 100Mb onto this DVD before I'm going completely nuts.

Here's the info window from iDVD:
Attached Thumbnails
How much will fit on a DVD...?-videoinfowindow.jpg  
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Well, I've now managed (with quite a bit of effort) to edit down my videos from 3 hours to 2 hours and 15 min -- but as you can see below, I'm yet a mere 100MB over to fit it onto this DVD.

Since I can't trim the footage any further, I tried to compress one of the longer files a little in FCE (using its "Quicktime Conversion") but after a few hours of processing, it hangs every time (yes, I have ample computing power and disk space).

I wonder if anyone can give me a pointer or suggestion on how to cram those last minuscule 100Mb onto this DVD before I'm going completely nuts.

Here's the info window from iDVD:

I am not familiar with the editing with FCP very much but the bitrate you need is 4190 k/bits a second for the video and 224 kbit/s for the Audio in mpeg format. Another trick I have used which is PC based (maybe you have boot camp or something?) is to burn the disk as a dual layer. I then use DVD Shrink to compress it back down to 4.3gb. Its very fast and keeps the quality when it does not have to compress much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring