Best type of dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best type of dvd

I was wondering if there is a better type of dvd to get to make dvds with, such as -R, +R, -RW, and all those different types. Is there a better one that will give me better quality.
John Cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Major Player

There is no video quality difference between the pluses, minuses, and R's and RW's. The difference comes in the quality of the media, and how reliable the burns are, and how long they will last. I have heard that Taiyo Yuden disks are the best, and they are in my experience. You can get them for about $35 for a spindle of 100. They come in silver and white inkjet printable.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Trustee

As Edward said, DVDs just hold the digital bits and there will be no quality difference in those bits between the different "formats" and manufacturers.

What you should care about is compatibility. It's long been held that DVD-R has the best overall compatibility with DVD players, particularly older units. RW disks in either flavor are typically less compatible than either the -R or +R, and I've never used them for general distribution. I recollect reading that DVD+R had some minor compatibility advantage in one small segment, but I've taken the macro view and used -Rs for years with no compatibility issues.

T-Y's reputation has been top-notch for many years. I have great success with Verbatim hub-printable -R media. No coasters and no compatibility issues except for one disk that actually got cracked in shipping. I've also used TDK and Memorex media periodically without issues, so it seems the quality differences amongst the major media vendors appears to have shrunk to the point of being nearly insignificant, at least for me. That said, I want the best media I can get. I like to hedge my bets.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
T-Y's reputation has been top-notch for many years. I have great success with Verbatim hub-printable -R media.

My experience is that dvd+r has the best compatibility, I've had many problems with -R which refused to play.
Also I bought 100 tayo's last time and had nothing but problems with them, they're supposed to be the best but my sony dvd player makes those dvd skip and stutter about 50% of the time, now I exclusively work with much cheaper verbatims (printables) with hardly any problem so far. (knock on wood)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I love m y T-Y -R's but had an 13% media recognition failure rate on my last spindle of 100. All previous spindles have been 100%.
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Major Player

I've had best success with Verbatim, I generally use - R burning with my Mac internal burners and that seems to work fine. I always have some + Rs laying around just in case. I have also had pretty good success (like 90%) with TDK white inkjet printables but I haven't used these in a couple of years so have no idea if the quality has changed. I once bought a 50 spindle of white printable Rydata discs that were all successful

Main reason I prefer -R is a Mac issue, althoug both my my puters will burn to +, traditonally Mac's prefer -R ... I don't think there is any quality difference between the two
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

My Sony DVD players have been the hardest to please whether + or -. My latest VCR/DVD combo is still touchy. I think Sony might have real tight perameters in disks format and such, which may be tied to its digital rights concerns. In the early days, we used mostly -, as they were most compatible with most players. I seem to remember a Samsung that only liked + disks.

I also found that the cheapy off brand players actually were less touchy. Minitec, or something like that comes to mind. They even played CD videos, and displayed photos. to boot. I have a Philips uprezing player right now that seems to pay anything.
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I think Sony might have real tight parameters in disks format and such, which may be tied to its digital rights concerns.
You may have something there since Sony is the only computer hardware company that owns a major Hollywood studio. Ya think that some of the hardware design parameters might be coming out of Culver City?
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
You may have something there since Sony is the only computer hardware company that owns a major Hollywood studio. Ya think that some of the hardware design parameters might be coming out of Culver City?
oh oh, careful Tripp or else CH might move this to Area 51... <laughs>
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
...CH might move this to Area 51... <laughs>
I've never been there. Is it fun? (grin)
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring