Great DVD player... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 25th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Great DVD player...

Hey fellas...just wanted to pass on a great deal for anyone looking to buy a DVD player (or second player)....

Circuit City carries the Apex brand of DVD players which are well known on the internet because of their abilities to play just about every type of cd/dvd type media....they play MP3's,DVD, DVD-R (and a host of other DVD format's i've never heard of) Video CD's (VCD) and Super Video CD (SVCD)- not only this but they play jpegs burned onto cd-rom......Circuit City has 2 excellent models on sale for the next few weeks ($69) called the Apex 1200 and 1500- both have played every type of cd I've thrown at them and even make a thumbnail list on-screen to showcase your jpegs via slideshow. I took my hawk footage and ran it thru Cleaner 5 outputted a mpeg-1 for VCD and the Apex played it wonderfully- imagine fitting 74 min of audio and video on a single cheap CD- i'm very pleased with this super versatile DVD player- i'd recommend it to anyone here who wants to archive thier XL projects as VCD's on inexpensive cd's......I've even put 20 min. video projects on those small business card sized cd-roms and the Apex played it perfectly- pick one up soon before they sell out or go back to regular price (the only downside is that it only outputs video via RCA or S-video jacks- no fancy component video jacks on these models- but you'll like the video via the S-video cable)

(( it also plays DVD's created by Apple's SuperDrive perfectly ))

.....hope you guys give it a try.
Old March 26th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #2
Machinist Mate

Hi Steve,
what's the difference between the 1200 & 1500?
I got a new Panasonic (I think it's an RP56--it sure wasn't $69!) from Tweeter that handles all the MP3, VCD, DVD-RW etc. disks, but I have never heard of one that'll handle JPEGs onscreen. That'll be awesome.

Is this a region-free, Macrovision-free machine?

How is Circuit City to deal with? (I have not ever been impressed with those "big-box" retailers)

cheers

Last edited by Mike Butler; March 26th, 2002 at 12:36 PM.
Mike Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2002, 03:43 PM   #3
YL_wdlf_guy

Drooling...

A guy at work got an APEX for about that price and I had no idea that it could handle that kind of media... I think that I will try it soon... He got his at Circuit City as well.

Dennis
Old March 26th, 2002, 03:58 PM   #4

I've got an APEX AD703 and really like it's ability to play SVCD's, as well as DVD'-r's. There is a hack to the CMOS available on the net that will disable Macrovision as well as region codes. I regularly burn DVD-r's with Ulead Movie Factory that play beautifully on my AD-703.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2002, 06:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Apex

...yeah these Apex players are the hot ticket item for people wanting to create their own cd's (and DVD's)- they'll even play a regular CD with DVD quality footage if you burn the CD in DVD format (you'll fit about 20 min or so of DVD quality footage on them),,,great for small projects. The Apex 1500 plays mpeg files as well- if you put in a cd with any sort of mpeg footage it can usually play it....matter of fact the Apex 1500 has well over 400 customer reviews (on Circuit City's website- the highest ranking single device!!) and has a 4.3 rating out of 4.5- how's that for customer satisfaction?

..it's just a super cool, inexpensive DVD player, I thought you fellow XL shooters would like. They play VCD's and SVCD's better than any other DVD player on the market. My Sony DVD player (buck$$) states it plays VCD's- but plays them horribly- the same VCD's plays beautifully on the Apex.

If any of you purchase an Apex- post your experiences here. (stick to the 1200 and 1500 for full versatility)
Old March 26th, 2002, 06:52 PM   #6
Trustee

the Graphics Guy

I can't recall all the differences between the 1500 and 1200 Apex DVD players- but I do know the 1500 has better outputs (either component video or DTS- it has some feature the 1200 doesn't- but not a big deal)....the 1200 is the newer of the units- if they're out of the 1500 pick up a 1200- both are $69.99 at Circuit City (there's more detailed product info as well on their pages) and both play more forms of media and file formats than any other DVD players around.
Old March 26th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #7
Machinist Mate

Hey great! I'll have to try one (or 2). Thanks for the 411.
cheers
Old April 9th, 2002, 12:32 PM   #8
Machinist Mate

OK I just picked up three of those Apex 1200's--at Circuit City--now they are down to $65 each!
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Mike,

I take it that means the special is still on?

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 10:55 AM   #10
Machinist Mate

For shizzle, I tell ya!

the blurb on circuitcity.com says "Was $69.98, Now $64.98, Save $5!" I just had to jump on a couple for the home studio and @ work, plus one for the kitchen teevee, at that price! Just went online and placed my order for Express Pickup @ their nearest store. Just can't afford not to!

It's a funky-looking little box that strangely looks right at home rubbing shoulders with my editing gear, the only thing a little lame about it is that the cheezy front door is such flexible plastic that it bends from the pressure of your finger, but who cares even if it falls off.

Now we need to wait and see if somebody starts selling a hack or chip like for earlier Apex models to make it region-free and Macrovision-free!
Old April 10th, 2002, 12:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Going to go and get one as soon as I leave here! Keep us informed about any "CHiPs", lol.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Apex Logo

The cool thing about these players is that you can change the logo to whatever you want it to say. Oh yeah and they play EVERYTHING.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 09:28 PM   #13
Machinist Mate

say what?

What do you mean change the logo? How do you do it? Can I put my Cat Scratch Studio logo on the splash screen?
Old April 11th, 2002, 10:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes any logo!

Yes, You know when you turn the player on before there is a disc in it, it says apex blah blah blah? Well, I put my dogs pic in there an it looks great! haha do a search, if you cant find it let me know and i'll just email you the stuff.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2002, 06:04 PM   #15
Machinist Mate

OK I give up, how do you do that?
Hey, it sounds cool.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring