Better quality DVD menus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Better quality DVD menus

I author dvd's pretty often and have never been 100% happy with the quality of my menus. They just don't look as sharp as they should. I've never had a client complain...until now. I have a feeling it's just a little color bleed because he wanted bright colors...but, any suggestions how to get sharper looking menus?

I use DVDit6pro. Create menus in Photoshop (@720x480) and import into DVDit as psd or tiff. My menus are usually pretty simple...a few buttons (text or boxes) over a colored or black background.

thanks in advance.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Major Player

I use DVD studio pro, and the menus make me want to puke. I have had every client point out the jagged edges. Even when someone else makes the dvd, I've had people come to me and ask what the DVD author is doing wrong. My only recommendation is to try and make the menu elsewhere as a progressive video, not stills -even the text/titles. My videos always look fine on dvd, it is the stills and text that looks crunchy. If video looks alright as a menu, then you can simply add a colored blocks in the dvd program to select/highlight your text.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

One trick is to avoid fonts with fine lines and squirls - stick to solid shapes. My copy of DVDit! (years ago) needed a very accurate frame size (pixel count) to stop the picture flicker.

Next is to suggest your clients use an upscaling DVD player. This makes a dramatic difference to the menu sharpness I find.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks guys. I'm gonna try Aric's suggestion.

Are there any better authoring programs for PC? I do also have DVDLab...and HATE it. It has some cool features, but some simple things are just not simple on it's interface...and also think the menu's don't look any better than DVDit.

I've tried a trial version of Encore and didn't like the interface at all.

Any others work any better?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring