CD/DVD Labelling - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I am fascinated by the fact that some people use labels quite successfully while others get nothing but grief from them.

In my own experience, I have yet to see a single instance where our labelled disk won't play while an unlabelled version will. To date we've distributed close to 400 disks.

I agree that, conceptually, it would be nice to print directly on a disk. Currently, however, it seems that doing so leaves a bit to be desired in the color saturation and smearability categories (Hmmm... I'm not sure that "smearability" is a real word.)

The DVD-R blanks are Ritek G04 and are burned at 4X. We use only Meritline Glossy labels and apply them with a Stomper tool. The printing is done with an Epson C80 printer, which uses pigment inks. Such inks are smearproof, waterproof, and won't fade over time.

After the label is positioned with the Stomper tool we ensure a good uniform bond by placing the disk on a thin cotton cloth (such as an old T-shirt), and place a thicker towel-like cloth on top. We then use a rolling pin, starting at the center of the disk, and roll in three directions firmly. The finished disk looks beautiful and, as mentioned, plays normally.

Peter Moore: I found that you can remove a label completely using the following methodology:

(1) Spray WD-40 on the label liberally and let it sit (outdoors--it stinks) for a while.

(2) Remove the label and adhesive with your fingertips --it should come off quite easily.

(3) Now we need to remove the WD-40. Gently wash the disk with dish liquid soap and rinse; then do it again.

(4) Once the disk is completely free of WD-40, gently dry it using only a soft cotton material like an old T-shirt.

(5) You should now have a nice, clean, shiny disk.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

Also see this new technology that is coming for labeling!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #18
Major Player

Take a look at the Epson R300.
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring