Is it possible to record directly to dvd from miniDV tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 30th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Is it possible to record directly to dvd from miniDV tape?

I need to make DVD's of one hour lectures recorded on my XL1s.

I don't need to edit or add menu's just direct to DVD. I want to avoid capturing to my Premier program and then to DVD.

Thanks for your answers.

Brian
Brian Boals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Use a stand alone DVD burner, Phillips, Panasonic or whatever and you should be able to do it. I've done it from a 1 chip JVC that I use as a deck to a Phillips stand alone.
If you're useing a builtin then I don't believe it can be done at least I've never figured a way to, of course I haven't really spent any time looking to either.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #3
New Boot

ya Brian,

Don is right. Your only solution is to use a stand alone DVD burner. Once i used a stand alone CD burner. What I found is that the quality of the CD is not that good, it was grainy and it had audio sync out problem. Hope the same thing does not happend with DVD burners too.

I think if you capture your footage in Premiere then encode it to Mpeg2 then burn the DVD, you will get the best result even it is time consuming

debu
studio brahmaputra
assam
Debu Gohain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

I use a Sony RDR-GX7 standalone DVD recorder and sorry Debu, but your experience with the CD burner really isn't applicable. If you set for the highest quality level (1 hour per DVD) I find it virtually indistinguishable from the original DV.

This would be a good solution for you, and for the type of material you're working with I suspect you can even burn 2 hour DVD's with very acceptable quality. Be sure to get a DVD deck that has firewire (aka iLink, DV-in or IEEE 1394) input. If you want to make multiple copies of the same tapes then you might consider one of the decks with an internal hard drive; once captured to the drive they can burn DVD's in faster than real time.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring