Movie clips on a CD - which format?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 29th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Movie clips on a CD - which format??

A customer asks me to make a CD (not DVD) that contains various file formats (TIF's, PDF's, JPG's) and 3 movies (10 minuts each - Size: appx 540x432 px)

The movies should play on a regular PC / Mac and in many countries, including USA, Germany and other european countries.

How would you make these movie files (Which filetype?)

My original movie is a PAL FinalCut project.
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Major Player

You'll likely get various opinions (what it's all about, eh?) but mine is MPEG-1. It's MAC/PC friendly and a well-oiled path for CD video. I would also consider an HTML framework, although I admit to too little experience with MACs regarding opening a browser of choice. I have sent such disks to a MAC house without any report of problems. In this format you can hot link all the file types within a "web page"-like presentation.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Not to discourage you, but we have tackled this subject successfully. We have actually done a press release/advertising CD-ROM for a carpeting company. They included PDFs, JPEGs, and video. For video I like using 320x240 MPEG1, 1500 kbps video, and 192 kbps audio. You can use PAL standards if you wish, the computer doesnt really care, unlike TVs and VCRs/DVD players. The hard part is authoring the CD-ROM so that it is windows/mac compatible, and also covers all operating systems in windows & mac.
The solution is Macromedia Director & Flash, along with a bunch of other plug-ins that allow you to open up documents, and play video through director. The CD-ROM will be self playing, and we design the entire interface & layout.
This is some real high end work, but we do charge quite a bit for it. By the way, we have engineering & programming backgrounds, so we picked up director language without any training courses.

Thea cheap solution is to just put the files on the CD-ROM and let the person look for them. HTML is just asking for browser compatibility problems, we tried this on our first attempt.
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring