DVDs on a PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVDs on a PC

I burned some files for a client onto DVDs in Toast 5.2 on a Mac and they cannot read them. I believe that they only have PCs in their shop. I was under the impression that any computer with a DVD-rom drive could read them. Does anyone know if there are cross platform issues with DVDs in Toast?

I'm pretty sure that I checked them before I sent them out and that they read fine on my computer, so I don't think it was an issue with the disks(at least not when they left the studio).
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Most PC DVD-ROM drives can read DVD-Rs and fewer DVD+Rs.
Which did you burn? If you passed your clients DVD-RW or DVD+RWs, the compatibility drops even lower. While I've had
good experiences with my DVD-Rs, I've received some from commercial sources that do not work on DVD-ROM drives, or at least, need several insertions and about five minutes to startup.
One such case was attributable to a finger smudge on the disk.
Overall, I believe that the DVD-R problems were due to low quality.

Which brand of writable DVD do you use? Also, did you test your
burned disk?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The discs were DVD-Rs from a reputable name(Maxell maybe, but I'm not sure).

I vaguely remember testing the burned discs. I usually put the burned discs back in the drive and try and open a couple of files.

This client is the first one that could not read the discs. They asked me if I burned them on a Mac, which led me to believe that they are totally PC. Neither one of them worked at all. I've had individual files get corrupted before, but I've never had two discs be totally unreadable.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Trustee

If you are using Maxell's, there should be no issue with the media. Are you sure they have a DVD player in their sets? They may also have a much older DVD that does not support anything but DVD-ROM. Does your DVD play in a settop player?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

They weren't video dvds. They were burned as data files to be read on their computers.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:11 PM   #6
Trustee

XP natively supports DVD data disc. All other Windows OSs need something like WinDVD or other DVD software loaded (although, I did not test W2K after SP2 for this). It may be that they are using an older OS or you may not have finalized the 'burn'. Otherwise, it could be their readers.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I can't believe that a design agency wouldn't have some way to read these discs. Tomorrow I'm burning them ten CDs to replace them.

Thanks for the replies.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Go back to Toast and choose from the tabs on top "DATA"from the menu then choose to the left "UDF". This will allow for the reading of the DVD.

If this does not work then choose from Advanced ISO9660 as this works every time for PC computers.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #9
New Boot

The world is windows.
Jack Xiong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring