Labelling DVD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Labelling DVD's

I've read in Videomaker magazine that it's NOT a good idea to use adhesive labels on DVDs. So what are my other options? What are you using, and how well is it going?
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Trustee

I will be firing up my option tonight. I have an Epson 960 printer that includes a CD/DVD tray for printing onto a printable surface. I think some of our sponsors sell the R300, which I think also prints to DVD. Epson also sells refurbs on their own site. Since I use Maxell media, it took a little search to find it. Tape and Media has it and 50 is about $75 incl shipping. If you are using an Apple, Apple media is considered top-tier too.

Here is a Tom's hardware article that discusses it (comparing the Epson 900 to 960)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040127/index.html
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

1) just write with a pen on the surface

2) get printable DVD-R's with a printer that supports it

3) there is some new technology coming where you can burn an image onto the surface

4) you can buy DVD-R's that have your custom image pressed in it like professional DVD's

5) you can get your DVD's pressed professionally

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm sorry that I can't find the hard data I thought I'd saved, but there is an inexpensive (<$100 US) dedicated printer that will print limited text and images (logo for example) on disk. Colour is determined by the ink ribbon (yes, ribbon) you purchase, and to print below the hole you have to pass it through a second time, but it's an improvement over a grease pen.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #5
Trustee

David, could it have been the Casio CW-50 CD Title Printer? Under $100.

http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fusea...roduct=CW%2D50
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you, George, that's the one I was thinking of.

David Hurdon
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Don't forget the epson r200 ($99) and r300 ($170) - they print on inket printable cd's and dvd's also.
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

We have an Epson R300 at work and it seems to work pretty well. I haven't really put it through the paces though. With something like that, you also get a decent printer for other work too. It also includes built in card reader for various types of cards.

One issue with it is that you can only print one DVD at a time.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #9
Trustee

Does anyone know WHY labels (which are advertised as DVD labels) cause the DVDs oftentimes not to work?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #10
Major Player

The reason I've seen most often expressed, Peter, is that DVDs spin much faster than CDs so that any unevenly distributed weight can interfere with their spinning true - even seen claims that heavy and unbalanced ink coverage can be a problem.
The other is heat build-up under the label and I think that's what I've seen, with picture break up starting about 40 minutes in and eventually making the disk unplayable.

David Hurdon
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I have also heard that, due to the faster spinning rate, labels applied even slightly off center will give enough wobble to make the disk's playback erratic. Given that DVD-Rs are not 100% compatible with all DVD players to start with, I would not do anything that stands a chance to reduce the compatiblity. I have researched several duplicating services, and most of the reputable ones offer ink-jet or offset press printing of the disk surface as an option. One that I contacted offered "very thin photographic film" as a label -- not sure about how that differs from normal labels.
James Nyfeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Lighter, I suppsoe.

I guess the spinning off balance makes sense. Still, fast CD roms spin as fast as slow DVDs, but I've had DVDs totally ruined from labels, even in slow players, but labels on CDs have never caused a problem. Even heavily off balance. Wierd stuff.

I hope next gen DVDs don't have this problem.
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #13
Wrangler

"but labels on CDs have never caused a problem. Even heavily off balance."

Try them in your car CD player, and see if they don't fail. In my experience car CD players often have good skip protection (necessitating faster spinning) but lousy rotational unbalance damping.

Rotational unbalance is proportional to the square of the rotational speed!

"I hope next gen DVDs don't have this problem."

It's entirely possible they will make it worse. New specs will call for more exacting rotational balance standards (as has been the trend since the CD's conception), and drive makers could be tempted to design their drives with these tighter tolerances in mind--that is to say, they may not bother to incorporate better damping given that lower unbalances for manufactured discs will be enforced. The result? An even slighter eccentric label placement will give a larger rotational unbalance at the higher rotational speeds (16X, 32X, ...) of the nextgen readers.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #14
Trustee

So it will get to the point when we can't even use a magic marker on the disk for fear that the ink will throw it off? :)
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
So it will get to the point when we can't even use a magic marker on the disk for fear that the ink will throw it off? :)
No, but if you hurry before the ink dries, you get nice splatter art. ;)
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring