DVD Duplicator/Printer - Advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #1
New Boot

DVD Duplicator/Printer - Advice?

I'm looking to get a DVD duplicator/printer that can do about 10 discs at a time. Are there any machines that are good at both or is it better to get a separate printer?
Ravi Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Major Player

10 discs at a time? Do you mean you're looking for a unit with 10 drives/burners- or an automated unit with one or two drives that can automatically duplicate at least 10 discs at a time?

Not sure what your budget is for this equipment, but machines that do both duplicating and printing will run you at minimum a couple thousand dollars. Automated disc printers can also set you back by about $1000 or more depending on what kind you choose. My own setup is quite modest, but for now it saves me loads of time. I have a Discmakers Forte automated duplicator that can do 25-discs at a time. My printer is a DYMO Disc-Painter. You have to sit there and feed it one disc at a time, but its faster than my Epson, and it was more affordable than automated printers.

Hope this helps!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Trustee

I've got a Disc Makers ElitePro2 that duplicates and prints with an input capacity of 175 disks. I've had that thing running 24/7 for as long as 9 days. It's built like a tank (and is almost as heavy.)

Unfortunately, Disc Makers has discontinued the model. Too many newer, smaller, sexier models available. But on the up side, I bought it when they were closing them out, so I got it for $1600 delivered.

Anyway, I'd strongly suggest getting an automated duplicator/printer. It's fantastic to just click "go" and a few hours later, you've got a stack of completed DVDs.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn McCalip View Post
10 discs at a time? Do you mean you're looking for a unit with 10 drives/burners- or an automated unit with one or two drives that can automatically duplicate at least 10 discs at a time?
I'm looking at both options right now. Its not absolutely necessary that I get 10 discs from 10 drives, but if it won't cost too much I will consider it.

Quote:
Not sure what your budget is for this equipment, but machines that do both duplicating and printing will run you at minimum a couple thousand dollars. Automated disc printers can also set you back by about $1000 or more depending on what kind you choose. My own setup is quite modest, but for now it saves me loads of time. I have a Discmakers Forte automated duplicator that can do 25-discs at a time. My printer is a DYMO Disc-Painter. You have to sit there and feed it one disc at a time, but its faster than my Epson, and it was more affordable than automated printers.

Hope this helps!
The Discmakers Forte/Dymo Disc-Painter combo seems like a decent solution, except for having to feed the discs one at a time.

How is the Primera Bravo SE?

What is the ink usage on the Dymo Disc-Painter and Primera Bravo SE?

How do these two machines work? Do they have to be connected to a computer to burn the DVD content and print the artwork?
Ravi Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Kiran View Post
What is the ink usage on the Dymo Disc-Painter and Primera Bravo SE?

How do these two machines work? Do they have to be connected to a computer to burn the DVD content and print the artwork?
I've heard the Dymo uses a heck of a lot of ink. One review said it prints about 100 disks per cartridge, and the cartridges are $40 each. That's $0.40 per disk! Ouch. Even the Primera Bravo will cost you about $0.30 per disk in ink.

One of my criteria for a duplicator/printer was that it does not depend on proprietary supplies. My duplicator uses HP print cartridges that I can buy 24 hours a day at Wal-Mart. I've run out of ink on a Saturday evening, and so will you. I'd hate it if I had to wait until Monday to order, then pay for overnight shipping.

Yes, the two units you mentioned have to be connected to a computer. Some of the higher priced units have built in PCs, like the Epson Discproducer and MF Digital Scribe.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Chris, is your Elite still working? My printer died recently -- probably after doing only about 10,000 discs over the span of 4 years, which considering I paid full price for my unit was a little disappointing. Discmakers response? "Eh, too bad. Don't even try to get it fixed. We have some lovely new models!" Also, found the system to be not very reliable. From Day 1 it required monitoring for long jobs. We'd cheer when it would make it 24-hours with randomly pausing, stopping or taking a coffee break.

I'd ever buy another Discmaker piece of hardware given the total lack of support over the years and the inability to ever upgrade from 2 to 4 drive (which was a selling point at the time -- oh and they said it was mac compatible... it wasn't. Didn't even include drivers.) The fact that it used HP cartridges was great, but that luster diminished fast.

Looking now for an autoprinter, since my dual-disc Elite still duplicates discs (most error were based on printing, so it's actually more reliable as a duplicator-only operation). Thinking about a Bravo II which has dropped to $1k or the newer but less "buff" Bravo SE.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Yeah, mine is still going strong. I'll go through streaks where it will run non-stop for two weeks, then sit unused for a month.

Disk Makers has stopped supporting it but you can still get support, parts and repairs from the manufacturer, Amtren. I haven't had too many problems with it although occasionally it will stop when it encounters an error (like the disk falling off the arm.)
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Major Player

I went to the Amtren site, and it turns out the "problem" with my printer is one that's addressed on their ever so sparse FAQ. Seems to work now (after cleaning some clear strip of excess ink spray).

Did some more research on Amtren, since I really wanted to find the upgrade kit to make my unit a 4-drive system (I have the 2 burner unit with two extra bays) but it appears as though they may have gone out of business... or sold... or whatever. Either way, they haven't replied. Still, happy I'll get a little more life out of this fidgety unit. Maybe the BluRay publishers will come down in price if I can hold out 'till Spring 10.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Major Player

The 'gone out of business' reports regarding Amtren were premature, it seems. I received an email back from Kirk today regarding the upgrade options. Though, for the upgrade price they want, I could just buy a second system -- a Bravo Pro -- on clearance and have four drives and two printers going instead of just upgrading my one machine to four drives...
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Trustee

That's too bad, since the "upgrade kit" is really nothing more than a couple $50 drives and a code to allow your software to work with four drives.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring