DVD Burning.. Don't have HD support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Burning.. Don't have HD support

So.. I am still kinda new to the whole... Phsyical copy deal... I alway keep my photos online as well as my Videos. but now a job I got needs a real DVD... It is due tomorrow so I am going to run to a store tonight.

Long story short. My program (It's crap) will only export some insanly low res like.. 480x720

What program can I get (The low the price the better) to make a dvd at full HD? I shoot an XH-A1 and edited it all together at full HD.

So.. What are my options? I know there is stuff like Encore, but thats all I know...

What is the current price on Encore now?
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
So.. I am still kinda new to the whole... Phsyical copy deal... I alway keep my photos online as well as my Videos. but now a job I got needs a real DVD... It is due tomorrow so I am going to run to a store tonight.

Long story short. My program (It's crap) will only export some insanly low res like.. 480x720

What program can I get (The low the price the better) to make a dvd at full HD? I shoot an XH-A1 and edited it all together at full HD.

So.. What are my options? I know there is stuff like Encore, but thats all I know...

What is the current price on Encore now?
I don't know the cost for Encore. You could go to the Adobe Web site for that.

I think you're bigger issue is the learning curve. It's not terribly intuitive, at least for me. After slogging through a couple of projects I got the hang of it.

You can try Nero for US$100 and it's downloadable. I suspect that Sony, Corel and others have some low cost tools but I can offer not advice on those since I've not used any of them.

Short deadline you have. Best of luck.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
What program can I get (The low the price the better) to make a dvd at full HD?
Short answer: you can't. The NTSC DVD-Video specification is the "insanely low" resolution of 720x480.

Now there are some Blu-ray players that will support playing m2t files from a DVD (such as Sony's PS3.) But of you're looking to deliver a DVD that someone can place in a consumer DVD player and watch HD resolution video - you're out of luck.

Tell us a bit more about how this DVD will be played and we might be able to give you more suggestions.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
My program will only export some insanly low res like.. 480x720
Just an off-topic aside: referring to 720x480 as "insanely low resolution" is what I consider
to be a significant milestone for DV Info Net. When this site got started, 720x480 was the
standard to which we all aspired. I guess we really have come a long way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I got Magix Movie Maker just for it's burning ability to get my clients DVD out...

Idealy, I would like to get a standard DVD that someone can just pop in any old player and watch their movie. What are my options software wise? What kind of resolution can I expect?
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I got Magix Movie Maker just for it's burning ability to get my clients DVD out...

Idealy, I would like to get a standard DVD that someone can just pop in any old player and watch their movie. What are my options software wise? What kind of resolution can I expect?
If you want a DVD that anyone can play in an NTSC DVD player, you are stuck with 720x480. That it. I guess you have the option of widescreen, but that's still 720x480 (the resolution appears to be higher, but that's just a trick using elongated pixels.)

If you want other DVD authoring software, there is Adobe Encore, Sony DVD Architect and at least a dozen others. None of them will make a DVD that plays HD video in normal DVD player. It just can't happen. Adobe and Sony do offer Blu-ray authoring, but that requires a Blu-ray burner, Blu-ray media and a Blu-ray player.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I figured... Well I have been thinking of getting Blu-ray stuff... But until a client wants it on blu-ray I will just have to stick with the 720x480. I always give them a usb stick with the full file, so I doubt its an issue.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
I figured... Well I have been thinking of getting Blu-ray stuff... But until a client wants it on blu-ray I will just have to stick with the 720x480. I always give them a usb stick with the full file, so I doubt its an issue.
I upgraded to everything I need for Blu-ray a year ago and never used it - no client has ever wanted it. HD distribution for me has been either online, played on a computer, or played off a USB key (with something like the WD HD player.)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring