DVD vs. DVD-R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 14th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #1
New Boot

DVD vs. DVD-R

I'm pricing out DVD duplication for a project I'm currently working on. What do you think about DVD vs. DVD-R duplication? The budget could possibly grow to meet the costs of DVDs (as opposed to the more consumer DVD-R) but I'm wondering how necessary the upgrade is at this point. Are there still compatibility issues with some DVD players and the official "DVD" duplication?
Emily Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:35 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Emily,

I recently got 30 disks done on to DVD-R. We only had 1 returned back to us because it did not work.

If you can afford it I would replicate to DVDs.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm with Ed on this one. If you can afford it, go with "proper" DVD - it does not have compatibility problems with players, because the players were designed to play proper discs.

Burned discs (DVD-R. -RW, +R, +RW) all use a material with a lower reflectance, leading some older players to fail to read them.

It's worth noting that some older players, and some newer ones too (especially the very cheap ones available today) can have problems with very interactive discs or discs with large amounts of precommand and postcommand instructions. This can vary from loooong delays while doing the calculations/navigation through to crashing.

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Emily,

In light of the technical differences pointed out by others, you need to decide if you want DVD duplication to be a "Core Competency" of your business. If you do, you should be prepared to step up to the expense of being 'competent' which may require a substantially greater captial expense.

With FedEx and and so many businesses that already have established this as a core competency, you have to make a pretty strong estimate in your marketing analysis that demand will justify the expense. Do you estimate a significant increase in demand in this aspect of your business. Yes, go for it; No, outsource it.
Patrick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Something to also think about is life expectancy for your DVDs. If you go DVD-Rs with stickers you might have a shorter lifespan.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Duplication is using recordable media. Not sure what it is you want to upgrade? are you talking about getting DLT set-up? or authoring drive?

As Ed & Julian said replication is the way to go if your projects allow it and using DLT masters is the industry standard.

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring