DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   CD/DVD Printer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/30918-cd-dvd-printer.html)

Christopher Lefchik September 27th, 2004 12:43 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. It would make sense that Canon can't sell their printers with the CD/DVD printing if Epson has a U.S. patent on it.

Christopher

Marcia Janine Galles October 1st, 2004 04:31 PM

Just thought I'd add my .02 in case anyone else is in the market in the States and reading this post (like I was a few days ago). The Canon may not be available here, but I just picked up the Epson R300 at Costco, and it does a beautiful job of printing to DVD. I took a still from my film, printed it to sliver inkjet printable discs, and ya know, on the whole, it's a pretty classy look. Admittedly it's not as deep and rich in color as the studio released DVD's my kids have sitting around the house. But for a $139 printer, when what I need to do is send out preview copies for my doc, I couldn't be happier. And contrary to an earlier post about the Epson's, my discs are dry to the touch almost immediately.
All the best,
Marcia

Allen Brodsky October 5th, 2004 10:15 AM

Marcia,
Do you know if the R300 has any advantages over the R200 for printing on DVDs/CDs?

Rick Spilman October 8th, 2004 07:25 AM

I am very impressed by my R200. I paid about $100 for it which included roughly $60 worth of ink. So far my results have been great. It is not a production printer but for small batches of DVDs it is just fine.

Marcia Janine Galles October 8th, 2004 01:08 PM

Allen, I really couldn't say. Your best bet is probably comparing stats on the company web page. Basically I just ran across the R300 at Costco and didn't look any further. I was in a time crunch. I was there... it was there. I doubt the CD/DVD print function is any different, though. The 300 has a compact flash slot in the side, and pop in spot for other card media, for ease of printing photos (which has nothing to do with why I bought it). It could be those "extras," but I'm just guessing.

Marcia

Allen Brodsky October 9th, 2004 11:44 AM

Rick, Marcia,
Thanks for the replies!
-- Allen

Bill Keen October 9th, 2004 11:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Spilman : I am very impressed by my R200. I paid about $100 for it which included roughly $60 worth of ink. So far my results have been great. It is not a production printer but for small batches of DVDs it is just fine. -->>>

same here. I've been suitably impressed by the quality from my R200. Price is right. Definitely a great investment for me and paid for itself in terms of "professional" appearances after the first wedding job I used it on.

Martin Archer-Shee November 6th, 2004 06:02 AM

Cd/DVD printing

I too would like to print my CD's/DVD's. I have the Epson 2200, which in Europe is the 2100. in Europe they have a CD/DVD tray included but not in North America. Pity. I do not believe there is any difference between the machines. you can not get the tray in NA.
I use a Lyson CIS for my ink and thus do not worry about ink usage (as much).

Does any one have a 2100 and not need/want their tray. If so how about selling at a reasonable price? presently I am making a caddy out of cardboard but would rather have the right equipment.

thanks
Martin

pS About clogging. I have had NO trouble with the 2200 even after not printing for 3-4 weeks.

Lars Siden November 12th, 2004 02:32 PM

Canon Pixma 5000 *the king*

Hi,

Got my Pixma 5000 two days ago - and I must say that I'm VERY impressed!

* Great price
* Relatively cheap to buy new ink-cartridges ( 5 pcs )
* Prints a 10x15cm ( or 4x6 inches :-) 9600dpi photo in less than 40 seconds
* Prints fullsize A4(letter?) full photo quality in about 1 minute
* Prints beautifully on CD / DVD
* Directprint via Pictbridge(USB) interface
* DUAL paperfeeding cases: one for photo paper and one for standard A4 paper + CD/DVD tray
* Very good and easy to operate driver
* Nice included software
* Prints fine on Canon, Epson, Konica paper...

Cons:
- quite big ( but it can be placed towards a wall )
- Manual is really poor
- No memorycard reader

I'm am extremely satisfied!

// Lazze \\

ps. I use included SW for DVD/CD printing and Nero's label program for jewel boxes ds.

Kaleem Maxwell November 13th, 2004 10:25 PM

Quote:

The rep said that the CD/DVD printing is not available, that Canon isn’t going down that road. Something about copyright fees.
Yes, I heard that it had something to do with patents in the americas. So, basically you'll have to import the printer.

Has anyone from the US or Canada done this? Has anyone imported a Canon Printer with the CD/DVD print feature? How was the experince?

FYI, I heard with the Epson printers is that if you don't use it often, the print heads may get clogged often.

Mark Williams November 14th, 2004 09:43 AM

I have had the Epson R300 for a year now and although I like the print results on a CD and the CD design software is good, it has a few negatives including.

- Hogs ink.
- CD print tray sometimes needs a little nudge to get it to feed in correctly.
- Color photo print quality is just ok.

On the other hand I also have a canon i850 and it produces some of the best photo prints I have ever seen and conserves ink. So if there is a canon outside the US that prints on a CD that I could get my hands on I would appreciate any info. on the process.

Regards,

Mark

Gints Klimanis November 15th, 2004 05:53 PM

>The Canon may not be available here, but I just picked up the >Epson R300 at Costco, and it does a beautiful job of printing to >DVD. I took a still from my film, printed it to sliver inkjet printable >discs,

Marcia,

Do you prefer the look of the silver or white inkjet printable disks ? I've only tried the white disks.

Marcia Janine Galles November 27th, 2004 10:22 AM

Gints, sorry to be so long in responding. Have been swamped getting my web site ready and trailer cut. I've actually never used the white discs, only the silver ones. I've been meaning to pick up some white ones to check out how what I think of them. I bought the silver ones online, in a bulk size for what worked out to around .45 ea. I thought they'd look classier. Will pick up some white ones and let you know. I think the silver look very professional, but I'm curious if the white background would make the colors richer. The silver make them seem a little translucent, which I've seen on some rental DVD's. To get the richer, more solid, printed look I suspect takes a different printer technology, as opposed to the kind of disc. How would you describe how the white ones?

Marcia

Giroud Francois November 27th, 2004 05:41 PM

the final look of ink (specially black) can be improved easily.
When your DVD comes out of the printer with wet ink, it looks great. Black is black and color ar vibrant.
When ink is dried, black turns to some dark grey and colors becomes weak.
If you apply a layer of lacker , all goes back to life, and the bonus is your ink is protected from wet finger.
see http://www.cdspray.com
they send pack of 12 spray for very cheap.

Marcia Janine Galles November 27th, 2004 09:05 PM

Wow Giroud, what a great tip. Thanks!