Best Dvd Recordable Disc -r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 15th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Dvd Recordable Disc -r

Iam having problems with fuji, maxwell and some verbatim,
i need to know your recomandation for the best , i dont care about pricing , i need the best media HELP!
DISC NAME AND NUMBER
Ruben Senderey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2
Major Player

What do you mean by problems? What speed are you burning at? What speed is your media spec'd for?
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Trustee

The best thing is to buy the brand recommended by your burner in its manual. There are some scenarios where some brands just may not be very friendly with your particular burner, but usually it really doesn't matter.

The fact, though, that you can't use any of the brands you mentioned, especially Maxwell which seems to work very well with all the dozens of DVD burners I've used, makes me wonder if you may have a problem with your burner. Or perhaps it may just be a poor brand. What info can you provide on your burner?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

IMHO - all DVD-r:s s*cks! I have had lots of trouble with different brands of -R. I'm now and forever(?) making DVD+R dvd:s.

// Lazze
Lars Siden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Again, I question if your actual burner is of lesser quality. You should have no problems with most DVD-Rs, and in fact, those are generally much more compatible, especially backwards compatible than DVD+Rs when it comes to home DVD players.

Plextors, most Sonys and Pioneers and the newer NEC burners shouldn't give you any problems. If you get some Bobosonic brand or even lesser store-bought brands like TDK, you're on your own.

And use Nero - it's the best software for burning anything.
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Again, I question if your actual burner is of lesser quality. You should have no problems with most DVD-Rs, and in fact, those are generally much more compatible, especially backwards compatible than DVD+Rs when it comes to home DVD players.
>>

I have found this to be a cliché not connected to the real world. At least not on the 30+ different set-top stand alone DVD players I've tested media on.

>>
Plextors, most Sonys and Pioneers and the newer NEC burners shouldn't give you any problems. If you get some Bobosonic brand or even lesser store-bought brands like TDK, you're on your own.
And use Nero - it's the best software for burning anything. -->>>

I do use Nero. Have had a Pioneer DVD-r A04 burner, now I have a NEC 2510A + a Philips 8601 - of which I rate the Philips as the better one.

// Lazze \\
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Trustee

Not a cliche. Many, many older DVD burners just do not play DVD +Rs. The newer ones notsomuch, but the older ones this is indeed true. And by older I mean barely 2 years old.

Heck a lot of Macs until fairly recently did not play or record DVD+Rs either.

Perhaps you're experiencing some other problem. Most drives and media are so good at this day and age, it's been a good year or two since I last burned a coaster. That time period includes about 20-30 or so different computers, including Macs, PCs, and various laptops, covering all the drive manufacturers I mentioned above. I even have some weird ASUS brand DVD burner right now on the computer I'm using to type this that is working excellently. I also have a roving Plextor I keep in an external firewire case and it, too, has never given trouble with + or - DVDs.
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Ruben

Keep in mind that even within a brand, you can have discrepancies. It's not so much the brand, as who makes their discs.

A good resource is http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
(alternatively known as http://nomorecoasters.com)

Recently I have preferred Fuji 4x -R, Made in Japan (manufactured by Taiyo Yuden), and Maxell 4x -R, Made in Japan (manufactured by Taiyo Yuden or Maxell). I also have some TDK +R discs (made in Taiwan) that I got on the cheap, which I use for demo DVDs, proofs, and other things that aren't very long-term or important. Taiyo Yuden-manufactured discs are considered by some to be the best, but burners can be picky and sometimes you have to do the legwork and keep trying until you find a brand your burner "likes."

For many DVD -/+ afficianados, looking for "Made in Japan" is one of the most important steps. For example, I mostly don't bother buying Fuji 4x -R discs if they are made in Taiwan (even though I've had luck with Fuji +R discs made in Taiwan). But the link above is a good start for info.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : Not a cliche. Many, many older DVD burners just do not play DVD +Rs. The newer ones notsomuch, but the older ones this is indeed true. And by older I mean barely 2 years old.

Heck a lot of Macs until fairly recently did not play or record DVD+Rs either.
>>>>

An old DVD-r burner certainly won't burn or read a +R disc, that is true. But +R burners have been around for some time. My audience for my DVD:s are mostly stand alone DVD players connected to a TV.

MAC doesn't exist in my book :-)

// Lazze \\
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Now, back to Ruben...

What kind of problems are you having? Are you having trouble burning the discs? Playing back the discs on standard DVD players? Are you making DVD-ROMs?

Try burning at a slower speed... try cleaning your burner... its hard to give suggestions on media when that might not be the case.

I've used Maxell but mostly Memorex recently and haven't had any problems at all, but then, I only burn at 1x on media rated for 4x...
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

dvd

iam using the pioner prvlx1 , acording to pioneer is that recording dvd's on 8x create alot of problems for the consumers out there,so the real problem is the dvd machines at home, so iam trying to record on 4x verbatim 94495,
also most of the companys are stoping to make 4x
WHY DO THAT?
Ruben Senderey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, I went out and bought a ton of 4x and lower media because I had a lot of success with it... I guess the manufacturers figure people are more interested in burning faster than anything else.

Are you having problems during the burn? Or is it not playing afterwards? What speed are you actually burning at?
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #13
Trustee

Ruben, on www.videohelp.com there is a list of stand alone players and compatibility. For example, I had to send a customer a DVD-ROM (really a +R disc with the Booktype reset) as +R and -R were having issues. My Pioneer has issues with +r, but not +rw. I even have put a comment on the back of my jackets that states "this is a DVD-R disc and may not play in some players, but a new, inexpensive DVD player should have no issues" (plays fine in the $35 machine, but does not play in their $350 one they bought 3 years ago.)

To resolve this issue for some clients, I bought a NEC3500A burner ($66). With 3rd party BIOS, I can now set the Booktype to DVD-ROM (a lie) on +R disc. This usually resolves the problem.

I used Maxell -R 4x disc, but have switched to Ritek Ridata G05 -R 8X hub printable media with lots of success. I do know that the -R media will not play well on a Sony Playstation 2 (Sony favors +r as they are key members of the +RW Alliance.) I am using fairly generic +R right now (I needed it now and Fry's was still open), but it seems to have fixed the issue with the Booktype bitset to DVD-ROM. BTW, the NEC3500A is a Dual Layer burner too. The Booktype bitsetting of DVD-ROM is almost a necessity as many of the current DVD set top players do not understand a Booktype of +R Dual Layer and will not play one of those videos.

Oh, and the Ritek media has a really good white for printing. I print directly to DVD as labels are really a no-no - TMI (too much information)?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #14
Trustee

my latest sony burner was just a month old, and it faded on me a couple of days ago... dru-700a(?) ...dual-layer and all that garbage... it had gotten to the point where some of the discs wouldn't play on my panasonic dvd player, but usually it was just the area around the hub that caused problems(blocky picture, etc.), which is where dvd -r's start writing data.

changing the write speed didn't help, because i think that the problem was a gradual failure of the laser... tough to figure out, because the discs still played on most dvd players... my neighbor has a $600 sony burner that had laser failure as well, no more sony burners for us.

the new pioneer rocks, and the factory has stated that they increased the power output of the laser on the new pioneer burners.

the moral of the story is that it isn't always the media, as somebody pointed out earlier... the best media always comes from japan, so that means taiyo yuden or maxell... that's all i've ever used.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #15
New Boot

Re: Best Dvd Recordable Disc -r

<<<-- Originally posted by Ruben Senderey : Iam having problems with fuji, maxwell and some verbatim,
i need to know your recomandation for the best , i dont care about pricing , i need the best media HELP!
DISC NAME AND NUMBER -->>>

Dude, there's something wrong with either your burner, computer, encoder or DVD authoring program.

You just mentioned the top three blank DVD media manufacturers in the world. It doesn't get better than that (I take it that you mean Maxell though, and not Maxwell).

Write validate after a burn, use a tool like Nero CD/DVD Speed to check for file or surface errors and start trying to figure out what's wrong exactly. But don't blame the media, sure some burners favour one over the other maybe, but I can't see a burner having problems with all three of the brands you mentioned.

MB
Moe Belli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring