Dvd Recorder Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dvd Recorder Quality

Does anyone know if the quality of a recording done by a dvd recorder for the television is all the same regardless of the recorder? I want to get a lite on recorder for $200, which has component cables, but am not sure if the resolution and color will be as good compared to a more expensive dvd recorder.

Also is there a way to record a dvd to a dvd recorder that has a hard drive that is hooked up to a tv without losing quality?

Thank you,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

$200 sounds pretty cheap, although I know prices are dropping. If you want a recorder with Firewire input I think you'll need to pay more. I have a Sony RDR-GX7 and have been very happy with it. When you record at highest quality you get 1 hour per disk and the results are very hard to distinguish from the original DV tape. However I have never tried recording from analog sources if that's what you're asking.

What is a "lite on recorder?" Is that a brand name? Most of the recorders I've seen only offer component video output, not input. Input is via s-video or composite RCA, or firewire on the better ones. I think it's like anything else, you pretty much get what you pay for. The cheaper models might record at comparable quality but won't be as well designed, will be made from cheaper parts, and won't last as long.

I don't understand your last question. Do you want to make a copy of a DVD? You can't record from copy protected DVD's using standalone DVD recorders.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

As we all know quality can vary greatly between manufacturers,
but even product (lines) from the same manufacturer. Price is
usually an indication, but not always. So yes, the quality could
be worse, it could be the same or even better. Who knows.

I assume you can bring the device back if the quality is not good
enough (discuss it with the store) and if this is true, just bring it
back!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring