Sticking a Label on a DVD... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old February 15th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Sticking a Label on a DVD...

Probably one of the coolest things about a DVD is printing onto the DVD itself. I haven't broken down yet and bought a dedicated DVD printer.

I have heard that putting a printed label on a DVD can actually cause the DVD to not play properly! The spinning DVD can actually be "out of round" because of the label changing the "physics" of the DVD as it spins.

Is this an "old wives tale", or do labels attached to a DVD increase the possibility that the DVD will malfunction in the future when it is played?
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Some say yes, some say they have no problems. Some may be better at getting them to apply perfectly centered without any bubbles. Different label stock will act differently too. So many factors can screw up a DVD that I want to eliminate as many as I can. $99 R200 printer seems like a great solution, and looks a LOT better than a label.
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #3
Major Player

First it's the printer and simple black and white printing capabilities, then the computer and software programs to store jpg's to put an actual image on the DVD, then it's JPG's and graphics, then it's photoshop and graphics, etc....

It's all good, as long as the learning curve isn't too severe.

No limits, right?
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

The one and only time I tried a stick on label it messed up the playback of the DVD. I guess if you go with stick-ons, go with a really good brand. The Memorex that bought at BB, didn't work.
My brother-in-law has the Epson printer and it looks and does a really nice job. I opted for the Primera Signature Thermal Printer. I prefer the basic black text and graphics on a silver top look.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : First it's the printer and simple black and white printing capabilities, then the computer and software programs to store jpg's to put an actual image on the DVD, then it's JPG's and graphics, then it's photoshop and graphics, etc....>>>

Alessandro,

You have to go through exactly the same jpeg capture and format for a label or to print directly on a DVD. I think the R200 makes even my amateur DVD efforts look 'pro' with very little effort.

Also, we had a run of DVDs where the spindle was cracking. Only the ones with label applied, cracked. None of them failed and maybe it was just a coincidence, but I now only print the label by hand with a Sharpie or on the R200. I'll never put another stick-on label on a DVD.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Stirring the pot...

I haven't printed direct to disc yet, but neither I nor my clients have ever experienced a disc error because of a label. I use the basic Neato (by Fellowes) brand glossy CD/DVD labels, and think the glossy adds to a professinal appearance.

Only time will tell, but I suspect the ink from a $99 (or even $300) inkjet printer will not hold up more than ten years. Not that printed labels will be in any better shape... I'm guessing in ten years DVD will be obsolete anyway, and people will be transferring DVD content to flash memory cards or whatever anyway. There won't be room for a label :)
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I use the Neato labels as well with no problems.
Aaron Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Label or no label.

I shoot weddings and deliver them in DVD. I also do DVD work for other shooters. I'v burned several thousands DVDs and applied the same amount of sticky labels to DVDs. I presently use a Canon i4000 to print on printable Memorex DVD-R.

My oppinion:

The quality you get with labels, especially if you use photo quality ones, is far superior then printed DVDs.

Printed DVDs will allways look duller then photo quality labels. You can improve their appearance by applying spray varnish, but unless you have dust free conditions, you better off leaving them as they come out of the printer.

You can get away with labels. I did for many years. But it is an unsure process, because from time to time they WILL give you trouble. I had not many, but some, cases in wich as soon as I handed over the client a copy without labels, the problem (skiping and freezing during play) was gone.

Even if the label is well centered, you can have problems, and believe me, I'v got the experience on that.

As soon as over here (Portugal) was easy to find printable DVDs and printers to print on them, I did the switch. And I'm happy with it.

Also, photo quality labels are expensive. Printable DVDs are not so much expensive then regular ones. You can transfer the cost of labels over time, to justify buying a printer.

Getting burned DVDs to be as compatible as possible is hard enough, so, don't put one more problem in the equation.

Again, if it is for personal use, labels can be ok, for semi-professional or professional use, today, the answer is NO.

Good luck and best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Adhesive labels can supposedly reduce the archival time of your disk. For most cases this won't matter as disks don't live up to the hype of longevity in many ways, but it is something to keep in mind.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/disccare.html
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring