Text Editing on DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Text Editing on DVD

Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie here and I hope you will be patient with my questions. I did a search and I could not find the answers.
I just recently had a DVD done for me and I need to add some text editing. I purchased a DVD burner and it came with Nero Express 3 (I upgraded to a 6 demo version) & Nero Expressvision 2. This software doesn't seem to be able to save text editing on a DVD. I mean I can edit it but if I try to burn a DVD it it won't work.
Am I doing something wrong or does Nero not work for this? Can you recommend any inexpensive editing software (keep in mind, my computer is a 500mz - 256mb RAM)?
Thanks for any help!
Ron
Ron Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Hello Ron, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net!

I have no idea what this "text editing" is you are talking about.

Are you talking about subtitles? Menu screens?
What is the end result you are looking for?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #3
New Boot

I'm talking about adding subtitles.
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

You need a proper DVD authoring application (instead of a DVD
burning application) to do things like subtitles.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #5
New Boot

Do you have any suggestions?
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Ron, if by DVD you mean DVD Video, what you have on the disk is a folder called Video_TS and one called Audio_TS. These are the product of authoring software, like Adobe Encore, Sony Architect, MyDVD, etc. Some applications allow for editing of a "finished" project, if that option is selected as the project develops, but it's quite unlikely that someone making a DVD Video for you would have chosen that option, and if they had, it would only be available in the same software they used. There are ways to take apart what's on the DVD and start more or less from scratch in an editor, like Premiere/Vegas/Avid and so on, but they aren't for the feint of heart.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Ron, if by DVD you mean DVD Video, what you have on the disk is a folder called Video_TS and one called Audio_TS. These are the product of authoring software, like Adobe Encore, Sony Architect, MyDVD, etc. Some applications allow for editing of a "finished" project, if that option is selected as the project develops, but it's quite unlikely that someone making a DVD Video for you would have chosen that option, and if they had, it would only be available in the same software they used. There are ways to take apart what's on the DVD and start more or less from scratch in an editor, like Premiere/Vegas/Avid and so on, but they aren't for the feint of heart.

David Hurdon
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #8
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by David Hurdon : Ron, if by DVD you mean DVD Video, what you have on the disk is a folder called Video_TS and one called Audio_TS.
Yes, David, It's DVD Video and I've already been playing with these files using the NERO software and it won't allow me to save the finished product after I added titles and I've wasted lots of time doing this.
These are the product of authoring software, like Adobe Encore, Sony Architect, MyDVD, etc.
Have you heard of Roxio Easy Media Creator? Do you know if it can add titles?
Some applications allow for editing of a "finished" project, if that option is selected as the project develops, but it's quite unlikely that someone making a DVD Video for you would have chosen that option, and if they had, it would only be available in the same software they used.
The people that did my DVD used a MAC and I can't use that software.
There are ways to take apart what's on the DVD and start more or less from scratch in an editor, like Premiere/Vegas/Avid and so on, but they aren't for the feint of heart.
I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for your help.
Ron Leibel

David Hurdon -->>>
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:46 AM   #9
Major Player

It will be helpful, Ron, if you are familiar with the concept of layers and compositing. You've seen clear acetates such as are used with an overhead projector. If you had three of them, each with different content, and you laid them one on top of the other, each one could be considered a layer. When you edit video, and when you create video DVD in authoring software, you create layers of imagery, even if only a movie and a text title overtop. That's two layers. When you export a movie from an editor, or burn a video DVD the layers are flattened into one image. You can't separate them after the fact. So your challenge is to rip the VOB files, convert them to AVI, re-edit with sub-titles added, or add subtitles in the authoring software, if it has the capability to do so - most/all moderately priced choices don't. I certainly don't claim to know the only way to do this, but the way I would do it, if I had to, is time consuming, degrades image quality and requires both possession and knowledge of several pieces of software in the process.

David Hurdon
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10
New Boot

I had no idea it would be so difficult. When I looked at the Nerovision software it looked simple except you couldn't save it. I went through each scene added a title and it seemed to be easy. I guess it may not be that easy. Anyway thanks for your help, David and I will continue my search. I will be gone for about 3 weeks so I may not be able to answer any posts.
Ron Mathew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring