DVD Authoring Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 11th, 2002, 01:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Authoring Software

I want to build custom animated menus and really give a production quality feel to my DVD's. Right now I have MyDVD (came with DVD burner) which can't go beyond simple menus. For example, have some animation play before the selections appear etc. What's my best choice out there now and aside from video conversion, is this something that can be patched together without using an authoring tool i.e. scripting.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 05:34 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I've heard some good things about DVDIt PE www.dvdit.com,
perhaps you can find a demo on their site to try out first. Good
luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:07 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

DVDit PE won't currently do motion menus. The next version is supposed to have this feature. For motion menus, ReelDVD is required. DVDit PE IS very flexible in its menuing options and is the cheapest authoring program that also encodes AC-3 audio (allows longer videos per DVD at higher bitrates).

If AC-3 audio is not required, several cheaper programs are available that do motion menus.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Ulead DVD Workshop (not DVD Factory) I has some motion menus support. I dumped DVDIt! SE because it was way to picky about the MPEG2 files provided, did not give good contorl for setting chapter points and would often get buggy with a project forciung me to start all over. DVD Workshop is a new product, 1.2 is a free upgrade. It is much easier to use, but does not have all the exact contorls over buttons and button linking/action I would like. But I am able to get more work done quicker than with DVDIt!.
ULEAD has an eval on their website.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 12:56 PM   #5
RED Code Chef

Sonic DVD Producer is another....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 04:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your input. I downloaded a trial of Dazzle's DVD Complete and it does most of what I want for $100. Motion menus and if you get past the templates, you have some freedom.
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 06:33 PM   #7

Sonic Foundry is about to release(Nov 1) a plug in pack for Sound Forge and Acid 4 (and perhaps for VV3) that will not only allow DVD authoring but ac3 5.1 channel recording. Rumor is that Vegas Video 4 will have 5.1 surround sound incorporated in it.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring