ink on printed dvd taking long time to dry at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ink on printed dvd taking long time to dry

I'm using the epson r800 to print onto verbatim 8x dvd-r. The manual says the disks should take 24 hours to dry. However, after 48 hours, the ink still isn't completly dry on the disks.

I printed a light pink background with black text and a dvd logo on the disk. The background is dry almost right away, but the text just doesn't seem to want to totally dry. I tried touching it after 48 hours and it will lightly smudge.

Just wondering if this is normal since this is the first time I've ever printed a dvd.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Major Player

If it wasn't a 'printable' DVD, it may never dry. When I've printed on an inkjet printable Verbatim DVD, they have always been tacky for the first hour, and then dry-but-smudgeable until the 24 hour mark.

I once printed on a regular shiny-top DVD and even though the ink was dry, it came right off upon touch even a week later.

These are my results with the R200...you mileage may vary.
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

They are inkjet printable with a white top.
Old April 10th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Deniz,

All I can think of is that the ink you are using isn't the correct type. Is it Epson ink or a knock-off brand?
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's epson ink.
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #6
Major Player

I read somewhere in the documentation of my Epson R310 that you should adapt the ink density with different brands of CD. So when you print, try to adjust the brigthness so the ink density will diminish.

You can find more information in the documentation but it should do the trick.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I tried the ink density solution, but it didn't work. The ink still smudges. I called epson and they pretty much told me I have to keep trying different brands until I find a dvd that works.

I love how they say you can use "any" printable dvd when you really have to keep throwing away money and unused dvds until you find a brand that works.

Is anyone else using the R800? If so, what brand of printable dvds do you use?
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm using the r200, and printing on fuji's I bought on sale at Fry's working great.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Trustee

If you MUST label the discs, consider getting a Lightscribe-capable DVD writer.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #10
New Boot

I'm using Ritek Ridata with white printable hubs on the Epson R200 printer with NO problems. If I forget and put a disc in without printable hubs (without changing the inner hub dimension option)...the ink dries on the white inkjet portion, but NEVER dries on the inner hub. I've had some around since before Christmas and the ink is still wet and will easily smear with your finger. I've also used Prodisc with white printable hubs, with absolutely no problems. These seem to be a little cheaper and I've had great success with them. As crazy as it sounds I only use the Riteks because they have a higher rating on the Supermediastore.com website and I figure for the few cents difference in price...if someone else out there is thinking they're better for some reason I'll use those.

I've never tried the silver inkjet printable disks.

The Epson rep told me that the ink formulations for all their CD/DVD printers are the same. If she is telling me the straight scoop than I would recommend either of those two brands.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Steven Zellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R white inkjet-printable media has been working fine in my EZCD printer (a third-party-modified Epson Stylus something). The millimeter or so of disc surface that isn't printable on the outer rim will leave a smudge mark on your finger (since it doesn't dry there), but otherwise it seems OK.

'Looking to upgrade to a R200 eventually though (after I use up the ink in this one) -- the mechanics/firmware of this printer are a little glitchy.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I'll have to check out the Riteks. Would changing the inner/outer diameter in epson print cd affect the way the ink dries? When I printed my first dvd, there was a white border around the outside and inside of the disk, so I changed the diameters to get rid of it. Just wondering if that would have anything to do with it.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #13
New Boot

To the best of my experience & knowledge...as long as the ink is on the white printable portions of the disc it will dry. Whenever it is outside the white printable portions it does not.

Steve
Steven Zellers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring