some DVD issues - blacks, audio - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #31
Major Player

Sorry if you already know this - but I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread...

In regard to the mpeg2 render settings - dvd architect ntsc is indeed just the video stream unless you select to include audio, but this, as well as the the other default ntsc preset are far from the best quality.

They are single pass vbr at an average of 6,000,000 bps.

Might I suggest playing with the settings. If it's a short piece, then click on the custom button, under the project tab choose best. Under the video tab change the average bps to 8,000,000 and choose 2 pass vbr, or alternatively choose cbr at 8,000,000bps
change the lower bps to 4,900,000 or whatever it is.
you'll probably more than double your render times but, I'm one to prefer to wait the extra time for quality

Then do a seperate render for ac3 audio and you can match them up in dvd architect.

Second thing is the stuttering you mentioned - sometimes, in vegas you'll need to reduce interlace flicker to get rid of this effect.
Right click on the video event, choose 'switches' and check 'reduce interlace flicker'
no more stutter
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #32
Slash Rules!

Thanks, but a couple of things:

I don't have DVD architect, so are the DVD architect stream settings even useful?

Also, if I have a project made entirely progressive (shot in Frame mode on XL1s, no interlaced material added) do I need the "reduce interlace flicker" switch on?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #33
Major Player

I guess what I'm saying is the presets are rarely useful, regardless of what authoring software you use

and if it's progressive, the no - in that case, I don't know why you see stuttering
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring