File Size And Size On DVD Are Different!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 1st, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1
New Boot

File Size And Size On DVD Are Different!!!

So I have 14 files AVI files that i want to put onto a DVD.

I need to get it done quickly, so I'm just using the Nero, instead of Adobe Encore DVD, and also because the video pixel size is to small for Encore to accept.

So the total size of the files in the folder is 2.41gigs, and the space on the DVD being 4.7gigs.

So im in Nero, and it says that it cant fit, and some how, the all the AVIs on the DVD jumped from 2.41gigs, to 16.5gigs!!!

So Im rather confused, the conclusion that i came up with is that it is like the diffence between mp3s, and audio CDs, like theyre small files, but when made to audio {or video} they take up more space.

Can anyone tell we whats up? And how to get to them to some how be smaller, and not so ginormous! Or any other options that I have, that I didnt list?

THANKS A BUNCH!!!

--Jett Evans

-Alb3rt 3inst3in
Jett Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Only thing that I can think of is this:

The AVI files are maybe rendered like 320x160 or something, then you choose MPEG2 DVD in NERO. Nero will interpolate the video to 720x576(PAL) and therefor it says "too big".

IMO, it's always better to make the MPEG2 files in a standalone program and tell the burner app "not to worry" :-)

// Lazze
Old June 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Are you trying to burn a DVD-DATA disc (with the "original" .AVI files on it)
or a DVD-VIDEO disc (which can only be in MPEG-2 [basically], not AVI)??

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring