Higest bit rate for DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Higest bit rate for DVD?

What's the highest constant bit rate I can render/use? I have a very short program (15 min) to burn to DVD and would like to use the available space for maxium quality. (rendering main concept mpg2)

Or bertter phrased -- what's the higest constant bit rate a consumer DVD player can play back?

thanks --

Am I correct in assuming that a (high) constant bit rate will give better results than a variable rate -- since I have the extra space on the DVD?
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I believe that the combined bitrate of the video and all audio streams associated with it can't exceed 9800kbps according to the DVD spec. Because players vary, a good maximum target could be 8000 or so.

Keep in mind this is video and audio. If you AC-3 encode you'll have more space for video.

Cheers,

-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We use 9800kbps regularly and have never seen or heard of a problem on any player.
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Inner Circle

"Or bertter phrased -- what's the higest constant bit rate a consumer DVD player can play back?"

8000 is a safe and a good bet for decent quality.

as for players playing 9800 constant without a problem, im yet to see this, from high end to low end players. Ive tested on numerous players and each different model performs differently.
For best compatibility, use a figure which will give the player enough headroom to buffer the files before playback. some old players cant even play 8000 so thats another thing to consider..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks guys --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 07:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

What model dvd burner and media combination are you using for your 9800kbps recording?
I often send dvd's to friends who can't play the whole dvd without skipping or errors unless I keep the rate between 6-7500. I am using ac3 audio.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Jeff, I think you're doing the right thing. Getting too close to the maximum is asking for problems on many DVD players.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:51 AM   #8
Wrangler

That's why my vote goes to variable bit rate as opposed to constant. That way, a good multipass encoder can have room to bump up the data rate momentarily to maintain higher visual quality.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes, 2-pass VBR 4 min, 7 avg, 8 max seems to yield very playable DVDs for me at very high mpeg2 quality. Works well with HDV footage conversions as well. Encoder quality set to best.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring