stripy dvd image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 28th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

stripy dvd image

Hello,

Since I am new to encore (CS3), I need a little help on project settings.

I was building and burning a project (based on a quick time ref) but that gave me next to exellent image quality, horizontal stripes in everything that moves fast, watching with a normal DVD player on a Full HD LCD TV.

I checked the vob files on the DVD with Gspot and it tells me that it is interlaced. So what could cause this stripy movements. I have tried several different setings in File\Edit Quality Presets. Even progressive. The horizontal banding on moving objects stays all the way.

The only movement not stripy is some slowmo. I used to edit in Avid Media Composer.

The source footage was HDV.

Is there a solution for this in Encore?

I might not understand the software. What happens with the Project Transcode Presets, after you have named them? During build, how can I check these settings? How can I be sure that it will be transcoded according to MY settings.? Because each time I open the Project Transcode Presets it shows the default settings,

Or must I do something with the source material, in an earlier stage

thanks,

Rob
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Without actually seeing what you're seeing it's hard to tell exactly what the problem is, however I'd guess that it's an interlacing problem. Although I use CS3, I no longer use the Adobe Media Encoder to transcode from PP. I have done a fair number of projects that are delivered both on DVD and BD and have not seen this problem.

However, the fact that you have tried deinterlacing as part of the transcoding process would suggest that it's not an interlacing problem so I'm a bit befuddled.

You might want to try your DVD on some other different players. I say that because I have a cheap Philips combo DVD/home theater system that exhibits banding on DVD-Rs but not on Hollywood movies and TV disks.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have NOT de-interlaced during editing. I think that that shouldn't be necessary in a proper dvd project. I would try it just to see if it is an interlace problem. So, I will try it. And I will also try other players (neighbours or something).

What I see on tv is black/white/black/white..... horizontal lines in moving objects.
Thanks for your reply anyway.
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Trustee

The next to last line in your last post points me strongly to an interlacing problem. Interlacing issues are most visible on moving objects because of the temporal displacement of the fields. Deinterlacing should help you with this.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh yes, de-interlacing removed the banding, but that is not a proper solution.
It is not the footage which causes the problem. I transcoded it with Premiere, with Avid, with TAW4 and nowhere I get the banding. Just when Encore transcodes it.
No other suggestion?
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's a screenshot from encore after transcoding a Quick Time reference clip.
Attached Thumbnails
stripy dvd image-imagebanding.jpg  
Rob deJong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring