DVD Burners and........ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 7th, 2001, 02:23 PM   #1
Keeper01

DVD Burners and........

My questions are really several fold.
I am really itching to get my hands on the GL-1, but am having a tough time justifying how I will play the video back to the wife.
I personally want to buy a DVD-rw unit (which one?? anyone?) I have looked at the HP unit 9101i (I think) and looks like it would allow me to burn "top set" compatible DVD's (if you believe what you read on the cover of the box)

anyway.....
I shoot my video
upload via 1394 to computer
edit
compile to format... (DVD would be nice)

Please help

I am way too excited about the overwelming potentuial of it all and need to sell the wife on the GL-1 FIRST :)

Thanks

Lee
Old December 7th, 2001, 06:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

My friend has the latest Panasonic DVD-RAM unit. It's a standalone unit with a timer to record TV shows, etc. I don't know the model number but it's the only one Panasonic offers... last years model has been discontinued. It can also record DVD-Rs, but not DVD-RWs. The DVD-Rs supposedly play back in standard DVD players. Blank discs are getting cheaper all the time. DVD-RAM discs are rewritable but cannot be played in normal DVD players. You can get one hour per side at top quality on the bigger DVD-RAM discs. The quality is very good. Much better than Tivo and the like for recording shows since you don't have to sign up for a subscription service and you can also archive the media. And yes, it has a bunch of inputs and outputs. It has S-Video for the GL-1 you don't have yet. Of course, it also doubles as a DVD player.

The unit retails for about $1000. Cheap! Everyone should easily be able to peel off 1000 big ones for toys like this! (Key word being "should"... wouldn't that be nice?). I'm sure prices will drop just like they did when VCRs started to catch on.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2001, 06:48 PM   #3
Keeper01

I guess there just aren't that many people with the new HP 100i's (DVD+RW unit) just as of yet , in order to rest compatibility on DVD top set units.

I know the quality I will get from the GL1.

Its just that HUGE step I take after, when I want to share my compositions

thanks
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg41401.html

interesting reading........
Old December 10th, 2001, 08:55 AM   #4
Wrangler

Best check the compatibility issues first. Some DVD recorder boxes state that they do not make DVDs compatible with settop players.

One of the drives that are frequently mention is the Pioneer A03. It is suppose to make DVDr that are compatible with settop players.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2001, 06:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Pioneer DVR-A03

I second Nathan01: the Pioneer DVR-A03 is a widely available drive that burns both DVD-R (General, not Authoring) and DVD-RW formats. This is also the drive that is built into the current Apple PowerMac G4 systems, and is compatible with iDVD, even if you install it into a G4 after the fact.

You can buy the bare drive, and mount it in your tower instead of or in addition to your existing CD-ROM, CD-R/W or DVD-ROM drive. Also, you can stick it into a FireWire enclosure, and have a more portable solution. The FireWire enclosures I use are ADS Pyro <www.adstech.com>, and they work well - at least on Macs.

Check-out Price Watch <www.pricewatch.com> for a good price on both the drive and a FireWire enclosure. Street prices for the DVR-A03 are currently around $ 430.--

Hope this helps...

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring