DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Adobe Encore -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/48253-adobe-encore-various-topics.html)

Jake Sawyer January 2nd, 2005 09:03 PM

Anybody know how to solve this?

Andrew J Hall February 24th, 2005 03:03 PM

Do I need Encore DVD

I am going to be making dvd's - editing with Premiere Pro 1.5. I am wondering what Encore DVD does for me versus using the various Nero tools for the authoring step. I know very little about dvd authoring though I have done heaps of video editing for web and VHS delivery.

Andrew Hall

Aanarav Sareen February 24th, 2005 11:53 PM

Nero is not an advanced DVD authoring app. You will be very happy with Encore DVD. Take a look at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial for excellent tutorials.

Rob Lohman February 26th, 2005 05:30 AM

The basic Nero stuff can just create a movie-only disc (although I
do believe there are some more advanced Nero tools out there
or coming out).

Encore DVD is a DVD authoring program. Authoring programs take
your elements (video, audio and stills etc.) and combines them
into a DVD.

What this allows you to do is:

- add multiple movies
- create (motion) menus (you need to create stills from the video or a paint program) that can link to each other (think main menu, chapter selection menu, extra's menu etc.)
- add subtitling

etc.

Dan Euritt February 26th, 2005 01:27 PM

i believe that premiere pro includes the mainconcept mpeg encoder, which is probably better than whatever encoder you'll get with nero... but test it to see for yourself.

your market may be satisfied with whatever the limits of nero authoring are; you can, for instance, put the photo sequences to music with premiere, then just encode it all as part of the timeline with the mainconcept encoder... then set up your chapter links in nero(you'll need that capability at a minimum).

i tend to believe that dvd's work better in general, and are maybe more compatible, when you use only one long mpeg2 file, as opposed to authoring in multiple seperate elements.

you can also use a seperate program for authoring the menu, i like the program that mediachance has created... see if nero will import menus.

cheaper alternatives than encore would include dvdlab pro, from mediachance... it'll do things that you can't do with encore, but it may not be as easy to use for a beginner.

John Davis March 12th, 2005 07:18 AM

Adobe Encore 1.0 Menus - Where To Buy More?

Hi, Where might a good place be to purchase more Encore menus for use in creating DVD's? Thanks, John

Hart Boyd March 12th, 2005 08:11 AM

You can subscribe to http://www.dvd-makers.com and download all you want.

Bret Pritchett April 26th, 2005 03:01 AM

Encore title/chapter help

I'm making a DVD and have 9 seperate video files that I want in the same timeline/title track, as 9 seperate chapters. From what I can tell, the only way I can create chapters is to split up the title video track. Is there any way I can put all 9 files in the same title video?

thanks
Bret

Christopher Lefchik April 26th, 2005 07:18 AM

Bret,

The Encore manual states that a timeline video track can contain only one video clip. If you must have all the video clips on one track, you will need to combine them in your video editing application.

Another option, if you have Encore 1.5, is to use a playlist to make the nine separate video clips (each on their own timeline) play sequentially, one after the other. See page 181 of the Encore manual.

If you have Encore 1 you can accomplish the same thing using end actions. See pages 122 and 134 of the manual.

I've used both methods in the past when I wanted a group of video files to play sequentially.

Bret Pritchett April 26th, 2005 08:04 AM

I used the end action feature, but that won't let the viewer use the chapter skip feature if they want to watch the next video. Back to Premiere I guess.

Christopher Lefchik April 26th, 2005 08:32 AM

I ran into that problem as well. I solved it by placing a chapter mark at the end of each video's timeline.

Richard Maloney April 26th, 2005 12:04 PM

I agree with Dan, DVD lab pro is great. (I have encore also and find it a pain and buggy). After going through architect 2, encore, ulead, various sonic products - I find the cheapest is also the most capable, intuitive and easiest to use (once you learn it-no problem) - DVD Lab Pro.
(I finally found an authoring program I like!- had to put in a good word for it)

Now encoding (.avi's to .mpeg for example) - this I do beforehand- you can do this with premiere (mainconcept).

Neil Fisher April 28th, 2005 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
I ran into that problem as well. I solved it by placing a chapter mark at the end of each video's timeline.

that allows you to go next chapter?

question is; if you have your nine clips, with end actions setup to play in order, with chapter markers at the end of each video clip. how do you go back a chapter?

Christopher Lefchik April 29th, 2005 07:08 AM

Quote:

that allows you to go next chapter?
Since the chapter marker is at the end of the current timeline, right before the end action kicks in to take you to the next clip, it effectively allows you to go to the next timeline in your sequence. The transition between the two is hidden since it is after the fade to black at the end of the first clip, so most people will probably think the next timeline is another chapter in one timeline. If you don't place a chapter marker at the end of the timeline viewers will be forced to watch the whole clip even if they want to skip to the next one.

Quote:

question is; if you have your nine clips, with end actions setup to play in order, with chapter markers at the end of each video clip. how do you go back a chapter?
You hit the chapter back button on the remote. ;-P Seriously, it works. It just won't back up in the same order. While end actions choose which clip the DVD player will play next, they have no affect on the order in which you back up. That comes from the order the titles are numbered in (titles are what each individual clip/timeline on a DVD is called). If your end actions/playlist say to play titles 5, 3, 2, 7, and then 4 in that order, if you back up when you are on the last title in your list, 4, the DVD player will do it in this order: 4, 3, 2, 1, and then you won't be able to back up further.

As far as I know there is no way in Encore DVD to specify the title number each timeline becomes.

Patrick Jenkins May 1st, 2005 08:40 AM

How does Adobe Encore or Sony DVD Architect compare to DVD Studio Pro?

I've done a lot of DVD authoring and it's all been DVDSP/Mac based. I can't think of a good way in which to compare them, but if I'm looking for a PC based authoring program which would be best for me with regard to full control, full or nearly full ability to work with DVD interactive specs, etc?

I'm assuming these aren't gimmicky types of DVD programs - is that even a safe assumption to make? DVDSP is very robust and I'm not sure what the PC side has that's similar.

thx!

Rob Lohman May 2nd, 2005 03:00 AM

DVD Studio Pro on the Mac is by far the fullest and most advanced authoring
system in this list. It offers full access to scripting etc.

DVD Architect 3 supports the maximum amount of angles which Encore does
not support (I think it has no angle support).

The top-end product in the PC world is Scenarist. However it is expensive it
very complicated product. Their product below Scenarist is Producer, but I
don't think that supports either scripting or multiple angles either.

A pretty cheap application is called DVDLab Pro which seems to have
support for scripting, but no multiple angles either (although they claim this
will come in the feature).

So if you need access to scripting then your two choices are Scenarist and
DVDLab Pro I believe. If this is something you will not need I would go for
DVD Architect 3 (unfortunately you have to buy it with their editing package)
and get the most bang for the buck (feature wise).

Matthew Nayman July 3rd, 2005 06:52 AM

Need REALLY fast help in Encore 1.5 DVD

Hey, I'll make it quick. I have used it for a while, no problems.

I am making a fairly compley menu and I have text from photoshop I want highlighted when the viewer selects it. I have all the buttons made and linked up (the text is buttons), and on MY pc the high lighting works after I burn the DVD, but when I try it on a DVD player and TV, the highlighting isnt there and you can't tell what you have selected.

Any Ideas? I need them done tonite (SUNDAY!)

Christopher Lefchik July 3rd, 2005 08:42 AM

Check out this thread on the same problem over on the Adobe forums: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...2M.8@.3bb5b038

Josh Caldwell July 8th, 2005 11:04 AM

Encore 1.5

I'm trying to figure out what the best settings are for encoding my footage into Encore. Has anyone has some outstanding success with this program? And if so, any setting reccomendations?

Aanarav Sareen July 8th, 2005 11:56 PM

I prefer to leave it on auto transcode and hence Encore tends to fill up the disc with the best settings possible. Are there any specific problems that you are facing or is this a general question?

Sean McHenry July 18th, 2005 01:51 PM

Depends on what NLE you are using or what compression software you are running your final footage through. For me, I spit everything out of my Avid setup as QT Ref movies. Fast. Next into either Procoder 2 or Sorenson. Always use elemental rather than program or streaming should those be options for you on encode. Elemental will give you video and audio files seperated out. You'll need seperate files for proper encoding in Encore. In fact if you do elemental MPEG-2, you will not have to further encode the video. Audio will likely have to be re-encoded from the resulting WAV file.

Watch out for variations in "interlace" options on compression. Make sure your frame rate is 29.97, etc.

Sean McHenry

Mitch Buss July 24th, 2005 08:16 PM

Adobe Encore Problem

I am trying to put a movie on DVD using Adobe Encore but as I go through the "Build DVD" process, it stops halfway saying, the bit rate at 34:45:23 or some time around there is too high. It says reduce the quality or remove content from the timeline. The clip is 1 hour 15 minutes long. I have put on disc longer clips with this program in the past and I am rendering them all the same way with Vegas 5. I do not understand what is going on. Did I change a setting on Adobe because I have now re-rendered and shortened this clip 4 times in Vegas. Any help would be great. Thanks

Mitch

Sean McHenry July 24th, 2005 10:35 PM

Sounds like what is telling you is that the bit rate you are sitting at for encoding this clip is so high you will simply run out of room begore it finishes encoding the video. You simply need to tell Encore to use the best bit rate to make it fit the DVD itself. Encore should then select the correct bit rate that is the highest acceptable bit rate that will fit on the media you are using.

If it is in that mode and it is still running out of room, try checking the settings it is on right now, duplicat them in a manual mode and slowly reduce the bitrate each time you attempt to encode. At some point, probably near 6mb/sec it will fit. There is math available to do this calculation but it isn't something I keep in my head, or handy.

Sean

Christopher Lefchik July 25th, 2005 03:45 PM

You can either try reducing the bitrate you are using when exporting the MPEG-2 file from Vegas until Encore says it's okay, or you could just export an avi from Vegas and import that into Encore. Encore will then choose the correct settings to fit the video on the DVD.

Jacob Ehrichs July 29th, 2005 08:43 AM

Encore / NERO DVD problems.

I'm working with Premiere 6, Encore 1.5, and Nero 6.

I exported my finalized video from Premiere as a 12 gig DV avi file. I built a new NTSC project in Encore, imported the avi file, set chapter marks and transcode the video in 8 CBR with a final size of 3.5 gigs approx.

I burn this to a DVD from within Encore with my Sony DRU-510A. The DVD appears to burn properly, but I am unable to view it on my PC with the latest WinDVD software. When I right click on my DVD drive, it shows that the disk is not recognized, unformatted or corrupt. But, it still plays just fine in my standalone DVD player.

Next I built a DVD folder to attempt to burn with NERO. So Encore output the VIDEO_TS folder which from the HD is watchable by my DVD software, but often starts from a chapter way down the line and not from chapter 1.

I tried 2 different ways with NERO. Built a Video DVD, which basically just automatically creates an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder in your project, and I built a standard data DVD and copied over my 2 folders. Both of these burns had the same results. Standalone works, PC can't recognize it.

John Stromme July 30th, 2005 01:35 AM

Question about adobe encore...

Hi Everyone...

i have a question about encore. I'm trying to make a simple dvd with encore, using some low quality avi.s, but when I import them, it says the resolution is too low. is there a way to force them from 320 x 280 to 720 x 480?

thanks
john

Brent Ray July 30th, 2005 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, I don't believe (but correct me if I'm wrong) that there's a way to do this in Adobe Encore. You will have to use another program like Premiere which can export a file at a custom resolution. That's the best advice I can give you.

John Stromme July 30th, 2005 10:21 AM

Thanks Brent...

I think i figured out that if i convert the files to .vobs, encore will let me import them.

thanks for the help.

Dan Euritt July 31st, 2005 01:54 PM

the thing that bugs me here is that the pc can't see the dvd... does that function work with any dvd's that you have, commercial or otherwise? can you view the file list of a cd?

Jacob Ehrichs August 1st, 2005 06:36 AM

After a little troubleshooting, I've determined that my DVD ROM is bad. I am able to read the disc in my burner, my laptop DVD ROM and my standalone. It's weird because it works with CDs but it apparently stopped working with burned DVDs. It still handles commercial DVDs just fine.

Clarence Walker August 2nd, 2005 10:42 AM

Adobe Encore Dvd - Motion Menus/buttons

Hi:

I have Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 after previously owning 1.0 for 6 months. When I tried to render my thumbnail menus for motion, or my menu background, I get an error message. The message tells me that the I need to close the project and save.

I believe I'm following the correct steps to set up the motion menu, but I can't get it to render.

I have a Turnkey system 3.0G, with 1G memory, and the Matrox Rx100, and Adobe Premiere Pro.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Clarence

Peter Higginbottom August 2nd, 2005 03:45 PM

Hi
Try disabling WYSIWYG to monitor, works for Me.

Regards

Peter

Clarence Walker August 2nd, 2005 03:50 PM

Thanks For The Reply

Peter:

Do I access (wysiwyg) through the "Control Panel/System" file?

If so, I'm going to attempt that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks,

Clarence

Peter Higginbottom August 2nd, 2005 04:03 PM

Hi
On your desktop at the bottom right, on the taskbar should be an icon for WYSIWYG, right click & it should open a window where you can disable/renable WYSIWYG

Peter.

Clarence Walker August 3rd, 2005 09:02 AM

Worked

Thanks again, Peter.

I finally have motion menus!!!

Take care,

Clarence

Nathan Petersen August 7th, 2005 09:27 PM

Adobe encore dvd request time error

Every time I try to burn on dvd with encore it gives mea dvd request time error. Its like its haveing trouble transcoding.

Devin Eskew August 8th, 2005 12:54 AM

What type of file?
Is it already encoded MPEG-2 out of Premier, or are you having Encore do it?

Nathan Petersen August 8th, 2005 02:51 PM

No I saved it as a raw avi out of premiere. So encore is transcoding it to MPEG2. It saves quality that way.

Patrick Courtnage August 14th, 2005 05:34 PM

When the DVD starts at some chapter down the disc a little, is that on the stand alone? This happens to me to sometimes also. Does anyone know why this happens. I also build a DVD folder and then burn it with nero.

Jacob Ehrichs August 14th, 2005 10:29 PM

It seems to be only on my WinDVD 6 that it does this. Standalone starts with the correct menu. Weird. I'll chalk it up to software stupidity and move on. :)