DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVD Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/)
-   -   Adobe Encore -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvd-authoring/48253-adobe-encore-various-topics.html)

Andy Harding March 18th, 2007 09:40 PM

DVD with ROM content using Encore

Hi all use Encore for day to day DVD creation but now have a client wishing to mix standard DVD with data content (PDF's etc.).

What is the best work flow you all of found and software? I really still want to use Encore still as it's the program I'm used to but what will I have to add to this for the mixed output?

Lucas Morrow April 26th, 2007 10:42 AM

I’m having a similar problem as well, were going from PP2 to Encore 1.5.
We have all our text slates included in one clip. The video plays perfectly however, the text slates only play for one frame. I don’t get it at all! We’ve tried mpeg2, DV AVI and DV AVI to mpeg2 through Encore all with the same results.

Rob Neidig April 26th, 2007 10:49 AM

Could this be another manifestation of the dreaded "Optimize stills" option? I'm not in front of my Premier Editing station right now, so I can't look for where that option is, but I know setting "Optimize Stills" bites you in the butt in a lot of other ways. Perhaps that is what is happening here. Try unchecking that option and see if that helps.

Have fun!

Rob

Cody Dulock April 27th, 2007 03:18 PM

i believe it's in "project settings" or "edit/preferences"

On export, you can also uncheck the box for "optimize stills"

I had a similar problem once after exporting out PP1.5... I was using magic bullet as well... which usually has adverse effects on things i've noticed.

Ervin Farkas April 27th, 2007 03:51 PM

Troubleshooting

You have several options to troubleshoot your problem. First you need to determine who is causing it, Premiere or Encore. Since the exported video plays fine, I would try encoding it to something else, anything - Windows Media for example, use any other encoder you have available, even the (othewise useless) Movie Maker, turn your file into a .wmv. This will show you if there is a problem in the way your text is embedded into the video.

An alternative workflow would be to export an mpeg file directly from Premiere (go to Export > Media Encoder > MPEG), then import that into Encore. You could even author your DVD directly in Premiere Pro if you don't need sophisticated navigation (PPRO 2.0) or no navigation at all (PPRO 1.5).

Ideally you should bypass completely all Adobe software, but if you don't have any other mpeg encoder, this should help.

Jim Gunn April 27th, 2007 08:03 PM

I had a similar problem with .psd stills in videos that I edited in Premiere Pro if I didn't check "optimize stills". This is probably a problem with the AVI file that you are importing into Encore not an Encore problem. Make sure that you watch your exported AVI not in your Premiere Pro timeline, where it will look fine even if you didn't check optimize stills, but in Windows Media Player. You will likely find that your titles are screwed up in there and you just think that they are fine. Make sure that you optimize all stills if you use any stills. You may also want to add any titles to your main video track 1 as opposed to an overlay track before you expert and add the video to Encore.

Paul Gallagher May 8th, 2007 12:18 PM

encore wont let me .......

encore wont let me go from the movie while playing back to the menu by pressing the menu button on my remote even though in the timeline settings it is told to do this, while previewing it in encore it works but not in the finished DVD, any ideas of what I might have changed as all of my other ones worked alright.

Thanks
Paul

Ervin Farkas May 8th, 2007 12:36 PM

Have you tried "check project" before burning? Most of the time it provides with good info on what is not set correctly.

Paul Gallagher May 8th, 2007 01:54 PM

Thanks I got it sorted, the fault was in the DVD player, it worked fine in my other 2 dvd players.

Jeff Anselmo June 15th, 2007 11:45 PM

Encore 2.0 and hardware compatibility

Anyone know where in the Adobe site I can find about which hardware (specifically dvd burners) are compatible with Encore 2.0?

I'm looking around the site and can't seem to find it! Please help!

--Jeff

George Wing June 16th, 2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 697540)
Anyone know where in the Adobe site I can find about which hardware (specifically dvd burners) are compatible with Encore 2.0?

I'm looking around the site and can't seem to find it! Please help!

--Jeff

If your main concern is compatibility with DVD Burners, then you could always try the following:

1) use Authoring program of choice to create DVD Folders (or DVD Image File) on your hard drive
2) burn the DVD Folders (or image) using secondary burning software such as IMGBURN or CopyToDVD (I use IMGBURN myself)

Regards,
George

Jeff Anselmo June 17th, 2007 10:12 PM

Hi George,

I've actually done the two things you suggested--burned an image file using Encore 2.0, then used Sonic to burn the dvd. Unfortunately, it isn't the most reliable way (I think it's the Sonic program), as the burned dvd doesn't play in all dvd players.

The best way for me was burning an image file using Encore, then using Encore again to burn the dvd. And that seems to work 99 percent of the time.

But my Pioneer burner is on it's last legs, and I want to know what other brands are compatible with Encore 2.0 or CS3.

Best,

--Jeff

Jeff Anselmo June 18th, 2007 03:50 PM

Finally found the PDF file from Adobe for burner compatibility for Encore 2.0

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore...vd_burners.pdf

Just wondering which dvd burners are "working" for you guys?

Best,

--Jeff

Matthew Jackson July 17th, 2007 01:25 PM

Encore 1.5 mystery....

Hi All,

Just curious about Adobe Encore 1.5:

I want to go from 1 timeline to the next without having it skip and freeze for 5 seconds in between... is there a way to have them move seemlessly... for example....

I want to create a menu with a video background... when I click a certain button, I want it to go to a little AE animation and then to the next menu, however right now, the only way I can do it is to link it via the properties, and does the little freeze and hold with a black space in between... thus, I would like to click a button and it goes straight to it... is this possible?

Andrew J Morin July 17th, 2007 02:58 PM

Exporting Ppro2 Sequence Markers to Encore?

I've got hundreds of short clips (~1h:20m long) organized in a Ppro timeline/sequence.

I can't stand the DVD-menu templates that premiere offers, and I have Encore but no clue how to get my work in to it. So far I've discovered that the markers that Ppro creates basically don't exist in an exported (avi or transcoded m2v) file. So I'm ticked about having to go back through in Encore & re-locate all of my chapters. Is there a better way? I just want to make a nice custom DVD menu for this collection of clips, and of course burn the output to disc.

Damon Gaskin July 17th, 2007 04:32 PM

You have to click on the markers(sequence) and insert either a chapter name or number for each marker. Then the markers will be recognized as chapter points in Encore....

Damon Gaskin July 17th, 2007 04:36 PM

I am trying to remember since I haven't used 1.5 in a while, but the little freeze, your going to get. The key with creating your animation is to make sure that the animation begins and ends exactly the way and the exact placements on the static or motion menu. Once you do that and specify the transition(your animation), your going to get the pause, but the pause will be from your menu to animation with the same menu and it will appear that the menus are simply sitting still. I believe 1.5 has the option for the transition within it and I haven't done it in about a year or so, but that is how I used to do it. You have to play with it a few times to get the feel of how it looks and goes, but once you do, you will see what I mean and it works well..

D

Andrew J Morin July 18th, 2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damon Gaskin (Post 713475)
You have to click on the markers(sequence) and insert either a chapter name or number for each marker. Then the markers will be recognized as chapter points in Encore....

That's what I've read...thanks for the reply.

What I tried last night was using numbered-markers (which the help 'implied' should work), I just page-down-ed through my Ppro timeline and inserted a numbered marker at each cut...I still get no chapter marks in Encore. Are Ppro's numbered-markers different from unnumbered-sequence-markers with added text/digits (per Damon's Suggestion)?

Is it that I'm exporting via MPEG-2? Is there a more sophisicated way to make Ppro & Encore interact?

I gather that Encore can't detect scene changes automatically, or any other such helpful tricks, so I'm stuck manually re-locating my cuts once I get into Encore. I will be writing a nastygram to the Adobe company before too long.
;-)

Noa Put July 18th, 2007 08:30 AM

Encore cs3

Yesterday I received premiere pro cs3 with encore cs3 as a bundle, I was mostly interested in encore to see how it would perform. I have been using version 1.5 untill now and encore CS3 really doesn't look that different (Not counting the added flowchart which allready had been included in version 2.0)

I was a bit surprised about the encoding quality. I first took the high quality dvd 2 x vbr preset with an average of 7mbs and a max of 9mbs, strangest thing was when I tried to change the max bitrate to 8 encore changed it into 8,8 and there was no way for me to get it to 8mbs. I have had some playback problems in the past on some older dvd players which might be the result of a too high bitrate, that's why I allways lower it.
It took more then 2 hours to encode a 50min movie on a singlecore 3,2gig pc and I wasn't pleased about the result, the average image looked OK, only were there artifacts in the dissolves as they looked quite "rough".
I used "bitrate viewer" to read out the bitrates from the mpegfiles and I had peaks up to 9,4mbs and an average of 6,8mbs. The 9,4bitrate worries me the most, my dvdplayer could handle it but I'm not sure how older players will handle that.

Then I tried a constant 8mbs one pass bitrate which took about an hour to render and that allready looked better, the cross dissolves or also fades from black to an image were much smoother. In bitrate viewer I again had a peak of 9,4mbs and an average of 7,8mbs.

In the past when working with encore 1,5 I allways choose the highest quality 2 pass vbr were I lowered the max bitrate a bit and those encodes allways looked fine. Anybody any ideas what could be wrong with cs3's high quality preset and should I consider 1 pass CBR encodings instead but with a max bitrate of 7mbs? (In case of dvd's less then an hour long)

Anybody any idea's?

Tony Neal July 18th, 2007 09:13 AM

Noa ...

I've also upgraded from 1.5.1 to CS3. I have used Encore, but not to encode video - I always encode in Premiere Pro.

So far I've done a CBR encode at 7mbs and a 2 pass VBR encode at 7mbs peaking at 8mbs, both from the same 75 minute HDV timeline. The quality of the CBR was good but the VBR was excellent - easily the best I have seen from HDV.

I'd be surpised if Adobe were using different render engines in Premiere Pro and Encore, but you could try encoding from Pro to see if you get different results. The Media Encoder in CS3 seems to have fewer ready-made presets and more parameters to set than in 1.5.1, so I guess we are back on the learning curve for a while.

Tony

Kit Hannah July 19th, 2007 02:21 AM

Why not just leave the encoding at automatic? Encore will give you the highest quality possible that will fit on your DVD, and it has options to set the max bitrate. We use vegas, render to AVI then let Encore do the etranscoding. Works out perfectly for the highest possible quality. We get nothing but compliments on our videos.

Noa Put July 19th, 2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit Hannah (Post 714099)
Why not just leave the encoding at automatic?

I read about this after doing some "googling" on the subject yesterdayevening and tried the automatic settings and it was way past midnight when I finally saw that the output quality looked very good without any artifacts. It appeares that encore also choose for a single pass encode because it just took about an hour to get it done.
So, that's allready a big relief since I was on several deadlines and experimenting with output settings in the middle of the weddingseason isn't good for your health, :D

Richard Grebby July 24th, 2007 11:23 AM

Encore CS3 just closes

When i open encore it just closes, any thoughts?

Jason Thomson July 24th, 2007 01:02 PM

Logs?

Maybe check the log facility to which it logs. I think there is something called an "application log" in Windows.
I'll bet if you ask adobe, they might have a better answer.

Ben Winter July 24th, 2007 01:34 PM

This was an issue with stolen/warez pre-release versions. Are you sure you have a retail copy?

Richard Grebby July 24th, 2007 03:33 PM

I have a real copy, could it be that I have older trail stuff on their still.

Richard Grebby July 24th, 2007 03:57 PM

Ahha that sorted everything out. Sometimes I stun myself at my stupidity ;)

Tristan Howard July 31st, 2007 11:23 AM

Removing Text Flicker From Menus Made with Adobe Encore 1.5

Hi everybody,

After testing a DVD I made with Adobe Encore 1.5, the text on all my menus flickered terribly on a regular tube TV but looked fine on a a high-def LCD TV. My question is, how I do I get rid of the text flicker? It looks terrible and it seems like this problem shouldn't be too hard to fix. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tristan

Ger Griffin July 31st, 2007 11:51 AM

cant help you directly Tristan as i don't use that package.

But what might help is if your menus are cusomised try to stay away from white lines and avoid any lines that are only a pixel or 2 in width. this could cut down on it.

Tristan Howard August 6th, 2007 11:45 PM

Ger,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't figure out how to change the pixels but instead I just ended up using certain fonts that only had minimal flicker compared to the wide variety I had before.

Ger Griffin August 7th, 2007 09:55 AM

yea thats one way of doing it anyway Tristian.
Its down to the refresh rate of a standard tv (50hz).
Its a bit slow so you get that on the edges of some lines.
I purposely bought a 100hz tv a few years ago for my own benefit.
Next stop HD

Kiflom Bahta August 7th, 2007 02:17 PM

Encore

Hey guys, Is there is a way to compress the audio in encore without buying the expensive dolby digital encoder. I am trying to compress the audio but encore give me two options. PCM and Dolby digital. PCM takes to much space. I Have cheaper dvd burning software and they offer dolby digital and other compression rate. Is there is cheap or free dolby digital software? Thanks (*___*)

Damon Gaskin August 7th, 2007 04:38 PM

It compresses it to dolby on its own during the transcode within encore if you allow it to do so. You don't have to like with Premiere purchase the Minnetonka plug in. If you have Encore, and you drop say an avi to a timeline or bring it in as an asset, you should be able to transcode your audio for your "dvd" to dolby, even with version 1.0 of Encore DVD...

K.C. Luke August 7th, 2007 07:16 PM

Using Encore transcoding dolby digital is the best way to get AC3 dolby sound. Premiere purchase the Minnetonka plug in may not good as EncoreDVD :)

Kiflom Bahta August 7th, 2007 09:10 PM

I tried it while exporting from premier cs3 but it didn't work. It only gave two options pcm and you have to buy dolby. but if you export as avi it did work.!!!

Damon Gaskin August 8th, 2007 08:35 AM

I know this sounds like a strange question, but are you the owner of that copy, or is it a trial version? That sounds weird and I have never experienced that to be honest.

D

Kiflom Bahta August 8th, 2007 11:48 PM

Yeap, I am the original owner. It let me use dolby three times and after that it says i have to buy it. But if i export for premier as dvi and import it encore there is no problem.

Hank Castello August 11th, 2007 08:47 AM

It may depend upon the version of Encore. I'm still useing 1.5 and it only gives three uses of dolby, but 2.0 or 3.0 may have it built in.

Damon Gaskin August 13th, 2007 09:06 PM

I don't remember that guys. From what I remember from even the original, it always let me encode to dolby. That was one of the main assets of Encore, in that it did encode to dolby and allowed a much larger alocation of your assets to video encoding. Maybe I am wrong...

Nope, I am right. I just pulled out my 1.5 Encore box and looked at it and also the disc. It does state it encodes to Dolby. Something is up with your copies if it is only allowing 3 dolby encodes.. Maybe it's to 3:2:1 surround? I am not sure. But I remember now that this was one of the things that really made me want to switch to Encore when it first came out. I know "premiere" does or used to do the 3 times dolby thing as I mentioned with the Minnetonka software plugin, but that is different than the one built into Encore since Encore's is 2.0. Something sounds up with your copies guys...

D

Richard Grebby August 27th, 2007 04:06 PM

Page curl transition in Encore

Im wondering if it is possible to have a page curl transition effect when changing the menu from the main menu to the chapter selection menu on a DVD im making.

I notice that when I click the link in the flowchart for the chapter link there is a Transition tab, but I need to pickwhip an asset??

Any info on this would be great, thanks.