DVD burning is giving me a problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old July 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #16
Major Player

>>So this DVD works on your playstation and not on the other drives?<<

Yes.

>>Also I've never burned with my media files and projects on the same drive, so that may be at issue.<<

This could be the issue…but then again, I’m not having any problems on the PS2. This maybe due to the Memorex drive.

>>Also I always use +R and not -R.<<

I thought you had to use –R?

>>Is this the first time you have switched to -R?<<

I have used nothing but –R in the past.

>>Sorry so many questions, just trying to nail this down.<<

Hey, I appreciate it.

>>What is your DVD burner spec?<<

It’s a 16x DVD burner that writes both R and RW disc. Pretty standard stuff, got it from Walmart (I have a Sony burner too.)

>>Are you burning 8X on a 4X via a firmware upgrade?

I've seen issues with that. What burning speed are you using?<<

I did both 8x and 2x.

I just played the DVD on a Sony DV Player, and I didn’t get any problems. So I’m starting to think that this Memorex DVD player is the problem.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Trustee

if you went from one junk dvd-r brand to another junk dvd-r brand, you probably didn't help things any by switching brands... try a quality dvd-r like maxell or taiyo-yuden... there is no good reason to be running dvd+r over dvd-r.

hopefully you aren't running a sony burner, or a sony derivative like lite-on.

even commerical dvd's sometimes don't work on all players, so try more than just the memorex.

the location of the data files is not relevant, if the burn speed was low enuf to keep up with the hard drive... the dvd burning program should be able to do a verify operation to make sure that all of the data is burned to the dvd.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks guys...I'm starting to think the problem is the Memorex player.

In this link there is a Memorex player that is rated poorly with DVD-R disc. The model that I have here is not listed..but still...the fact that the disc plays on the PS2 and a Sony DVD player leads me to believe that the Memorex player is the problem.

http://www.customflix.com/Customer/Compatibility.jsp
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Glenn, I had the exact same problem. I even went and bought a new burner. Same problem. I switched to dvd-r, same problem. I bought a new dvd player, same problem. Now, here is what I ended up doing and it FIXED the skipping. First, I had way to much stuff on my computer. I was down to less that 5% free disk on my hard drive. I got rid of a lot of old stuff and got it to 50% free space. You can not run a proper disk defragmentation with less that 15% free space. So, after I cleaned off a lot of stuff (I moved a lot of it to my backup drive) I ran the system cleanup and then ran the disk defragment program (it ran for several hours). I do not have the skipping problem anymore. Also, I use top of the line blanks. Usually Verbottum dvd-r at 2x speed. The high speeds like 16x increase the chance of skipping. And the cost really isn't that different, especially if you consider the fact that you are having to trash less disks due to burning errors. Hope this helps. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
if you went from one junk dvd-r brand to another junk dvd-r brand, you probably didn't help things any by switching brands... try a quality dvd-r like maxell or taiyo-yuden... there is no good reason to be running dvd+r over dvd-r.

hopefully you aren't running a sony burner, or a sony derivative like lite-on.

even commerical dvd's sometimes don't work on all players, so try more than just the memorex.

the location of the data files is not relevant, if the burn speed was low enuf to keep up with the hard drive... the dvd burning program should be able to do a verify operation to make sure that all of the data is burned to the dvd.

You are correct, however in my experience I have never had any issues with the +R and that is why I've stayed with them. I have not always had the best time using -R. There have been compatabillity issues/
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay
Glenn, I had the exact same problem. I even went and bought a new burner. Same problem. I switched to dvd-r, same problem. I bought a new dvd player, same problem. Now, here is what I ended up doing and it FIXED the skipping. First, I had way to much stuff on my computer. I was down to less that 5% free disk on my hard drive. I got rid of a lot of old stuff and got it to 50% free space. You can not run a proper disk defragmentation with less that 15% free space. So, after I cleaned off a lot of stuff (I moved a lot of it to my backup drive) I ran the system cleanup and then ran the disk defragment program (it ran for several hours). I do not have the skipping problem anymore. Also, I use top of the line blanks. Usually Verbottum dvd-r at 2x speed. The high speeds like 16x increase the chance of skipping. And the cost really isn't that different, especially if you consider the fact that you are having to trash less disks due to burning errors. Hope this helps. Bob
This is exactly my same situation. My hard drive is stuffed to the limit. I'll have to try this.
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #22
Trustee

i've never had any compatibility issues with dvd-r, and it is the more popular format, plus there are no book issues to worry about, like you get with dvd+r.

again, if you are burning with a program like nero, you can tell it to do a verify operation to compare the info on the hard disk against the info on the dvd.

there is no good reason to burn discs at 2x these days... the correct way to handle it is to let nero do a burning speed test, so that you'll know how fast the hard drive is actually feeding the data to the dvd burner.

you can then set nero to manually burn at that speed... i've tested 6x coming off of one of my hard disks, and 12x off of the other, so i know what my system is capable of... i'm on my third or fourth 100-lot stack of taiyo-yuden 16x dvd-r's, no problems at all.

you need to be aware of how dvd's get burned... they always start at the inside hub of the disk; that location burns the slowest, since the disk rotates the slowest there... so the burn speed of the disk will vary depending on where the laser is at over the disk.
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
i've never had any compatibility issues with dvd-r, and it is the more popular format, plus there are no book issues to worry about, like you get with dvd+r.

again, if you are burning with a program like nero, you can tell it to do a verify operation to compare the info on the hard disk against the info on the dvd.

there is no good reason to burn discs at 2x these days... the correct way to handle it is to let nero do a burning speed test, so that you'll know how fast the hard drive is actually feeding the data to the dvd burner.

you can then set nero to manually burn at that speed... i've tested 6x coming off of one of my hard disks, and 12x off of the other, so i know what my system is capable of... i'm on my third or fourth 100-lot stack of taiyo-yuden 16x dvd-r's, no problems at all.

you need to be aware of how dvd's get burned... they always start at the inside hub of the disk; that location burns the slowest, since the disk rotates the slowest there... so the burn speed of the disk will vary depending on where the laser is at over the disk.

How do I use Nero in conjuction with Sony DVD Architect?
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I use both, however DVD-A3 just will not play well with 3rd party apps. I use Nero mostly for back-up's. I suppose you could make a master in DVD-A3 and then use Nero for your copies?
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:35 PM   #25
Trustee

as devin mentioned, once you make the dvd master, and test it well, you can copy it straight to the hard drive and use nero to create a .nrd project that can be used to burn copies off of.

if you don't understand what a ".xxx" is, first turn on file extension viewing within windows.

nero has a dumb interface that should be abandoned asap, lol... what you want to use is: "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\nero.exe" to create the nrd, and do all your burning with.

my genius neighbor is one of these guys who insists on buying cheap-ass dvd blanks... a couple of months ago he got a stack of what was supposed to be ritek 4x dvd-r's, but a couple of 'em were fully delaminating(!) around the hub... complete junk! it took him 8 burned coasters to get the 23 dvd's that he needed for the project, and that was with nero as the burning app.

ac3 may not work well with some third-party computer software dvd players, but remember that most dvd's do not get played back on pc's... your only concern, and the only way to properly evaluate a dvd, is to play it back on standalone desktop dvd players that feed into an ntsc tv.
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:52 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Glen,

Devin is asking some good questions. I'll throw in a couple.

Is the 'glitch' always in the same place? In other words, it 'glitches' right when the guy puts on his hat... IF you eject, and start playing again, is it STILL right when the guy puts on his hat? What I'm looking for, is if it's repeatable. When it glitches, can you hit 'rewind' and have it glitch in the SAME place? If NOT... it's not so much a problem with the disc, as with your player and the disk.

You say it plays on your playstation, I assume it plays fine on your computer? Can you check it on any other DVD players around?

I am authoring my doc, and had a similar problem. The glitch would happen on my samsung player, then not. A different glitch would happen with my cheap NORCENT player, or not. NO glitches on the burner... The guys at DISCMAKERS said I should try different media. I had some RYTEK, some COMP USA, Sony, Maxell, Memorex, JVC and some other generic brand.

Only the JVC was absolutely flawless on every player in the house. Weird, but that's what it took.

I am burning on a Pioneer A04. Burning at 1x or 2x made no difference. I DID download the latest firmware however.

SO, if you've suddenly started having problems, when everything had been fine in the past, I would look to change media and give it a try.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:04 AM   #27
Regular Crew

So many things!

Alas,

Just when you least expect, your DVDs stop burning correctly, or your burning gets much slower.

I make my living in part burning DVDs, including my own feature film DVD now, and if I've learned anything-- its this:

BE CONSISTANT.
BACKUP your working system.

If you find media that works, stick with it. I use 8X media, that costs me 15 cents each, bought in 50 packs. ($15) I go to the same store to buy it every time.

SO IMPORTANT!!!!!
When you have your system working correctly-- GHOST IT.
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/NortonGhost.html

Because, out of the blue, something will become corrupted in your system, and you will NEVER be able to figure out what it is. Never. And if you can by some miracle, you'll waste 10 hours or more trying to figure it out. There's just too much on a PC that can go wrong, even when you do everything right.

One minute you are happily burning DVDs nice and fast, the next day, for no reason- everything is dragging slow, or not working.

10 minute flawless fix--- Restore your working Ghost image.

How you initially configure your system is ultimately the most important thing in determining reliability and speed. This can make an unbelievalby HUGE impact on how reliably and fast your system burns.

These days, I'm burning 3 simultaneous DVDs (8x media) with 4.69GB (a full DVD) in 7 minutes and 12 seconds. That results in 42X actual burning speed. Yep. True. (For the curious: http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/duplication.html )

Hopes this helps and encourages. Don't give up.
Neil Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I little off topic, but one of the things that has helped me maintain a good working system, would be PC World. I highly recommend this in addition to all of the film & video mags most of us buy. In almost every issue there is some trick to be learned that can make your production experience better when working on a pc. They offer tips on keeping your system clean in layman terminology. Its well worth the $22.00 a year I pay for 12 issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring