using dv in on pioneer dvd recorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 1st, 2002, 01:25 PM   #1
New Boot

using dv in on pioneer dvd recorders

Has anyone purchased one of the two pioneer dvd'recorders(prv 9000 and 7000)
So far these are the only 2 I've read about that will accept dv in ,so one could go directly to the recorder from a camera.
stankern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Other DVD Recorders

In the USA Panasonic and Phillips have within their model range DVD recorders that at least advertise Firewire input "to record directly from your DV camcorder." Phillips model sells for $799 and Panasonic for $699 at discount retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City. I don't have experience with either and would like to know if anyone has used these DVD recorders to record video from their DV cameras to DVD.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2002, 09:12 PM   #3
Warden

I have a client that uses the Panasonic DVD recorder and it seems to do what it's advertised to do. The quality of the DVD's is fine. I'm not to sure of it's application at the price point. Why not buy a DVD burner for your computer and have the options of menus and higher end work?

My client uses it for just one thing. Making DVD copies for a client. The client just wants a DVD of a meeting that gets taped each week. In my recent discussions with him the Panasonic deck might get pushed aside. My client is considering replacing it with a Real Time (and faster) encoding board and a new 4X DVD burner.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 07:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Multiple Use DVD Recorder

Jeff, just starting to look into this, but besides Firewire input the random access convenience of recording TV shows on disc was appealing (recognize quality is what TV delivers--in more ways than one). Also earlier in year read some articles that made it sound like DVD burners still had issues (for the novice at least) in compatibility with playback on DVD players; render time from Premiere that I use for editing and so forth. And I haven't taken time yet to understand all that "authoring" stuff you get with software and DVD burner.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 08:47 PM   #5
Warden

If you want to use it to replace a VHS deck for home recording off the TV, it may be a good alternative. In a production environment, it usefulness is limited. DVD burners have dropped in price tremendously. Compatibility is improving with each passing day as the older players are replaced. New players have very good compatibility.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 06:01 AM   #6
Wrangler

I would agree that the standalone recorders are of dubious value unless they are selling for around $200.

The problem with standalone units is that you do not get control over the VBR (variable bit rate) that controls the compression (it takes a computer + s/w) or allow you to make good looking chapters and stuff.

Happy Holidays,

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2002, 08:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Standalone DVD

Good thoughts, Jeff and Nathan. I study a lot before I buy anything so by the time I reach a decision the standalones may have dropped to $200 and offer variable bit rate--doubtful. Thanks for input.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring