24p films on PAL DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p films on PAL DVD

Hello,

I have been searching on this forum before asking the following questions, but haven't found any answers.

I hope I can tap of your extencive knowledge with the following question.

In NTSC you can create 24p ( film speed ) mpeg 2 files to put them on DVD. The NTSC DVD player will then add a pulldown to show it correctly on the screen.

My question is, if you have 24p footage and want to put it on a PAL DVD, is it OK to create PAL aspect reatio mpeg 2 files keeping the 24p frame speed or do I have to transform it into 25p ( PAL ) speed. Do PAL DVD players recognise 24p mpegs and do their own magic as the NTSC DVD players, or do I have to convert to 25p ?

Thank you in advance,

Frank
Frank Aalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can convert it to 25p by speeding everything up. You'd need to pitch shift the audio so that it sounds right.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
You can convert it to 25p by speeding everything up. You'd need to pitch shift the audio so that it sounds right.
Thanks Glenn,

I know I can change the speed , but is that how it's normally done in PAL DVD Film releases ? That means that all films in Europe are shorter then the original version no ?

I was just wondering if PAL DVD players can play 24p mpeg files loke NTSC DVD players can. If not, I will have to speed change to 25p.

Frank
Frank Aalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes Frank, all movies are in Europe a little bit shorter. I once read Alexander for example, a movie of three hours long, was like 10 minutes shorter here, or something.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Yes Frank, all movies are in Europe a little bit shorter. I once read Alexander for example, a movie of three hours long, was like 10 minutes shorter here, or something.
Thanks for the info Mathieu

Frank
Frank Aalbers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring