24p DVD vs. 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #1
New Boot

24p DVD vs. 30

I am working on a project that is going to have footage from 24p A and 29.97 footage. I am thinking that I will convert the 24p A footage over to a 29.97 timeline using a standards conversion program. I can also go the other way and make a 24p dvd and convert all of my 29.97 footage over. Is there any big benifit to producing a 24p dvd? Is the quality far superior? Anyone ever done this and what were the results?
Jeff Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Major Player

You should check on this in the Web/DVD forum. I've seen several threads about it.

I've never made a 24p DVD, but I know one potential advantage is that your files are smaller than with 29.97 because you're encoding fewer frames. If you're encoding a feature-length project then that could make a big difference in the bitrate you can allot for your material.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Zach. Yeah, I read some stuff about that too. This guy named Ken Stone has some great info on his website regarding the 24p video. Here is the link if you wanna check it out.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._nattress.html

I'll check out that other forum.
Jeff Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring