533 to 1.2 to install DVD SP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Major Player

533 to 1.2 to install DVD SP

Hello everyone! Im using iDvd3 for now for encoding my projects from Final Cut Pro 4.5 but i want to upgrade to Dvd SP now. My system is a G4 single processor 533mhz, the minimum requirements for installing Dvd SP is 733mhz.
Now Im planning to upgrade my processor to a 1.2gig single processor.
My question is if I do the upgrade will i be able to install Dvd SP and will FCP recognize the new processor.
My other issue is Im only currently running OS X 10.3.9, I don't have OS 9 installed, and I have read in other forums that to install a Sonnet you must have the OS 9 for firmwear updates, and for me to install the OS 9 I should wipe out my OS X first then reinstall everything.
Beside Sonnet, are there any other upgrade cards that does'nt require OS 9.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Personally, if I were going to buy a processor upgrade, I'd buy an 'OWC Mercury Extreme' because they are a 100% compatible, plug-n-play, no-software-required upgrade. I've always been extremely satisfied with OWC products and service, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

You can see their products (along with everything else they sell, including Sonnet processor upgrades) at www.macsales.com which has a handy upgrade guide where you pick your specific computer model and it tells you what upgrades are available/compatible with it.

Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

There is an issue that occasionaly arised with FCP and G4 upgrades and the workaround is here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...s/fcp/fcp.html
I didn't read the entire thing in detail now ;-) so I don't know if it would be an issue with you.
Old December 18th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks for the link Duanne, but i followed it through and still it needs OS 9 for firmware update.
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Really? Well hmm....obviously that's a limitation of the Mac itself then. Well can you install os9 on an external drive, boot the computer into 9, install the firmware update, and then install the upgrade card? I imagine you'd only have to do that once, as I seriously doubt Apple will ever release another firmware update for that particular computer.

Of course if you don't have an external drive, by the time you buy one AND the processor upgrade card AND a copy of 10.4 Tiger.....you could probably buy a Mac Mini. LOL! And you wouldn't have to deal with any of those potential hardware conflicts.

;-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Hmm...i did'nt think of that, well let me install the OS 9 on my external hardrive and see how it goes, thanks Duane for giving me that idea.
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Ok!....OS 9 is installed, and checked my firmware and yes it meets the requirements for a new processor. The next thing i have to worry now is how FCP will respond to it, any of you guys who have the same experience upgrading like me could share some thoughts so i'll know at least what to expect.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring