Serious Error when Burning DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 5th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Serious Error when Burning DVD

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a wedding video, adn I have completed editing the video with adobe preimere pro. The finished video runs at about 50 minutes, and everytime I try to burn it onto a DVD there is an error. Its not a space problem, as when I am in the DVD burning menu, it says that I only need 3.01 gigs and my DVD's are 4.7 gigs. What I tried to do to fix the problem is I tried to export the video as one big AVI file onto my hard drive, but it says there is not enough room. I tried exporting it to my external harddrive, which I still have 117 gigs left, and my internal harddrive which still has 20 gigs left. Can anyone help me figure out this problem as I need to get the Wedding Video out soon! Thanks!

Glen Chua
www.moonlitefilms.com

Also, I thoguht I might add this... I run a Pentium 4, 2.6MHZ, 1 Gig of RAM, and have an ATI 9600 All in Wonder video card.

Last edited by Glen Chua; January 5th, 2006 at 05:05 AM.
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Glen
Are you using the PPro "Burn to DVD" function?

While I love PPro and use it for all my editing I don't like it's DVD burn capacity...

I encode the footage to Mpeg2... which despite loads of comments about its Prem's Main Concept encoder, I find that set right it produces excellent results...

Once I've a Mpeg I'm happy with I use DVD Lab Pro (But no doubt Adobe Encore would work as well)
I can author the video and add titles buttons, chapters, and whole navigation..

I have found music files can sometimes cause Errors if not saved in the correct format.

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes I am using hte export to DVD feature. How would I convert it to export it?
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Glen,

I had many problems myself recently when trying to use the export to dvd feature in PP. MANY ERRORS! I resolved it by not using this feature. I had to export the timeline, or sequence to an avi file on my hd and then import that avi into a separate authoring program. In my case that was the free program that came with by dvd burner. Ulead movie Factory. That program was able to encode my avi into mpeg2 dvd, and subsequently author & burn. I am not sure why you can't export to an avi if your hd has plenty of room left. That sounds like another problem.

If you care to follow my previous thread on this topic here is a link.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55872

Bob
Bob Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Glen

As I said in my previous post, I use the Premier MPeg encoder to make an Mpeg2 file ready for DVD authoring to get a more professional looking DVD.

Ulead stuff is good but very basic and is kind of an idiot proof authoring tool. Works ok but looks amateurish, and you have very little control over how it encodes your film. Premier Mpeg encoder lets you set all the parameters, quality, bitrate, format, audio settings CBR or VBR .. etc, etc.

As for the authoring, I'd suggest Adobe Encore or as I said above the DVD LAB Pro that I use.
It is a simple job to import the file and add Menus, Chapters, background music... etc. You can either use the templates, as in Movie Factory or create your own backgrounds and buttons in Photoshop as I do and import those.

You can do 16.9 too and really get creative in making nice DVD's.

To my mind Premier is great for editing and poor for burning to DVD. Also the Adobe packages works very nicely together. I find the Main Concept Mpeg encoder in Premier fine, maybe not the best around but if set up right, and it takes some messing around with bitrates, it looks very nice.

I've just completed a fishing film shot in Spain using the above. And I'm very pleased with it.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the advice. I finally got the DVD to burn, and export out onto the harddrive. What I did was reset my comptuer twice, and it worked for some reason. I'm still giong to experiment with the suggestions you guys gave. Thanks again!
Glen Chua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring