Ulead DVD Workshop MPEG choppyness? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 3rd, 2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Ulead DVD Workshop MPEG choppyness?

Hi,
I used Ulead DVD Workshop to create a DVD with two short (one about 3min and the other about 19min) avi clips that were shot on my GL2 and breifly edited in Premiere 6. When I put the DVD into the DVD player after it had been burned the footage was all like choppy. It wasn't smooth like the video I would see directly of the GL2 or even on a VHS. I used the highest quality encoding and a Memorex DVD. My DVD burner is a Pioneer DVR-104. When I play back the Mepgs on my computer they are choppy also but when I play back the Mpegs they are not choppy. So my question is basically this: Is the MPEG encoding in this software crappy or is it my computer somehow? And, if it is the software: Why is it crappy, this is $300 software we are dealing with it would seem that it should be good encoding? Thanks and if you need any more info about my system or anything else just let me know.

Thanks so much!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 03:50 AM   #2
Quantum Productions

I have the same problem. But it's when I use TMGPE!I notice the choppy-ness more while there is movement! It looks like it's in frame mode or low shutter speed. I experimented with about 20 or so 10 sec moving clips that were recorded with my XL1 at 29.97 f/s. I write down every possible combination of settings, audio, data rates, etc. I still can't get it to play right.

I love DVD Workshop much better than DVDMovie Factory (due to it's more manual editing) but with it I get a different problem. It keeps giving me a "disk error" at the end and won't burn my disk!
DVD Movie Factory works perfect! Unfortunately it won't convert my AVI files to MPEGs! They have that jittery look as well. I have to use M.S.P. 6.5 to create the MPEG2s first and then import into DVD Movie Factory. Then it works perfect. It's actually way faster than TMPGE and very close quality (TMGPE has more manual settings for DVD) (Of course that's when it use to work for me but not anymore!) Weird!

If I figure out (and will hopefully) I'll let you know!

Still trying and learning....
Old January 4th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Adam,
Thanks so much for the reply. Its kind of funny that 300 dollar software would have such a major problem. I wont use it because of this. I can't give people DVDs that look like crap. Well, if you ever do figure out a solution I would love to know it! Thanks so much!
Old January 4th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I have create several DVDs with DVD Work Shop with no problmes. I do NOT use DVD workshop to encode the video. I use DVD Workshop to author only existing MPEG2 files that I created with TMPGENC. I have found the Frame mode shots are a little choppy, alo with TMPGENC it is best to put motion compensation on HIGHEST QUALITY, this does slow it down quite a bit. Also don;t try to create Non-Interlaced from Interlaced, it works, but also adds a very subtle chopp to the image, you can play with all the de-interlacing options, some work better than others, but I have decided to just stick with Interlaced, gives me cleanest smoothest pitures.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #5
RED Code Chef

Scott,

Did you burn an MPEG2 to a DVD-Data disc and played that
or did you actually created a DVD-Video disc? It might be that
your player simply cannot keep up. Also note that you cannot
go over 9.4 mbps video channel (total 9.8 with audio).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Rob,
I am not exactly sure about all the answers to your questions. I think it was a DVD-Video disc because I used the program DVD Workshop to create the disc. I am using my XBOX to play the DVD so my guess is that of all DVD players, it is probably very capable of keeping up. But then again that's just a guess. I am not quit sure what he 9.4 mbps is, or how to check/set it when burning the disc. Thanks for your help!
Old January 5th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #7
Quantum Productions

As for making DVD Workshop work. I get as far as burning it to disk for a bit and then "Uleads DVD Workshop Error" "Failed to record data on the disk error" [93006:1:5]"

I have absolutley no problem with DVD Movie factory!

tried every combo possible but can't get pass the burning stage.
I'll have to stick to Movie factory.
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #8
Quantum Productions

Ok, my errors all along were caused from my Pioneer DVD-RW disk! Even though it says up to 1000x writeable, it's toast now.
When I do a disk video image so I can play back a test via power DVD all the footage (including MPEGs made with TMPGE ) playback perfect! (trying save all my DVD-Rs!) I will now use Power DVD first before burning from an image. DVD Work Shop should work fine now!

I think I will finish a DVD that I want to keep just incase the test does work!
Old January 6th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #9
RED Code Chef

Adam, tried formatting the disc again (full, not fast format)?

Scott, since I'm not familiair with the application(s) you use(d)
I'm afraid I cannot offer you any more advice on the matter
at this point. Sorry.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 03:35 AM   #10
Quantum Productions

Won't format any more. Mabey I left my beer on it too long! :)

Thanks for the help.
Old January 11th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Videomaker mag gave it a review on commented on it's "excellant" coding. They also said that when you image is shaper and more clear you sacrafice the smoothness of the video. Meaning it's more choppy. I don't know whats wrong but I dont like it!
Old January 12th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #12
Quantum Productions

Going to try (tomorrow) a full DVD-R of my 4 hour wedding production. I have it set at 60min/disk so a total of 4 disks for my customer.

Next video I edit I'm going to try with another DVD-RW disk and see if I can get a high quality but at 120min/disk. In will use TMPGE to encode my footage to MPEG2.

A DVD-RW disk is great for doing those 10 sec test clips instead of wasting 1 time disks.

More info here... http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...7931#post37931

Hope I have success!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring