Export for DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Export for DVD

When I export a project with DV compression, it looks great on my monitor. However, when I burn it onto DVD using iDVD it looks flat and faded. Should I export in something else that iDVD likes better?
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

DV to DVD

First, I do all my work on PC, but the principles should be the same.

DV is fairly low compression, compared to DVD compression. An hour DV uses 18 Gig, and and hour of the best level MPG compression is about 4 gig. Then if you are pushing more time on a 4.7 gig DVD disk, your DVD burning program is has to compress further. To answer your question further, twe would need something more on what compression you are working with, etc.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Perhaps I should ask what the best codec is for importing video into iDVD.
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Export to DVD

I'm guessing that you are editing with FCP and at least 4.5 (aka "HD"), if you are not, email me (JohnMChristensen@msn.com). After you finish your production do not export to quicktime movie or DV stream instead click, under File, Export > Using Quicktime Conversion. At the bottom if the resulting popup make it say "Quicktime Movie" click "options". Under "Video" click "Settings". Then go to compression type set it to "H.264" I use "high quality, multi pass" on anything over about 30 minutes and "best quality, multi pass" on items less than 30 minutes. Once it encodes (it will take much longer than doing a quicktime encode) I just drag it in to iDVD and make my DVD menus like I always do. H.264 video files are small but the quality is great, a five minute video at "high, multi" is only about 65MB that means an hour at the same quality is only about 780MB (if only CD's were that much bigger).
Now I am just a "young-in" at video so this may not be the super duper best way (and I am always open to modifing my way if doing things) but it is how I do all my encoding out of FCP 4.5. Hope this works for you, John.

P.S. If someone else knows all better way to encode video please let me know.
John Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Awesome! Thanks so much, John! I am going to try that.

I find that a DV codec makes my titles look strange. I'm going to try the h.264 right now.
Old January 20th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks John, this info will help me too!
Dave Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey, no problem. Let me know how it worked for you. Also should tell you for a 30 minute video encoding it to H.264 on a PowerMac 2.0GHz Dual Processor it took me 2-2.5 hours. Now just think how I feel when my main computer is a 1.8GHz iMac G5 (5 looong hours). lol John
BTW, The PowerMac is owned by a friend. :)
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Trustee

Maybe I'm mistaken, or updates have rectified this...but I was under the impression that iDVD will ONLY accept the DV codec - it won't accept pre-encoded files - as it needs to compress to mpeg2 on its own terms. Please let me know if I am wrong on this.
-Jon
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Export to DVD

I do not know what verson of iDVD you are using but I've pulled H.264 .mov files, quicktime .mov files, DV streams, just about anything into iDVD. I use iDVD 4 (I think) from iLife'04. Its always worked for me. John
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Christensen
I do not know what verson of iDVD you are using but I've pulled H.264 .mov files, quicktime .mov files, DV streams, just about anything into iDVD. I use iDVD 4 (I think) from iLife'04. Its always worked for me. John
Good to know. I haven't ever tried this 'cuz I haven't been in a situation where it has come up....and likely my info was something I heard about referenced from early versions of iDVD...so I appreciate you info. Thanks.
-Jon
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #11
Major Player

To the original post. If you're going to export to burn in iDVD you should export quicktime movie using current audio and video settings. This exports a virtuall lossless quicktime movie which can then be converted to mpeg 2 in iDVD. Using any other compression scheme will subject your footage to multiple compressions and will make it look like crapola. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring